Watermark

Hello,

I am new to Fusion Pro and FusionPro Server, so forgive me if this question is simple. Is there an easy way to specify that the low-res proof of the file, that we are exporting to view on the web automaticly have a watermark added to the PDF?

I have thousands of files that I would like to make this change to but realy don't want to have to go in and recompose each 1 by 1 to include a watermark textbox.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Daren

If I understand you correctly, you want to add a watermark that says "Lo-Res Proof" to thousands of pdfs that you already have composed.

In Acrobat, open a pdf and go to menu Document > Watermark > Add and you can specify watermark settings there.

In the menu Advanced > Document Processing > Batch Processing you can set up an automated process; set your watermark settings once and apply to many files.

Hope that is what you were looking for.

Scubajbc

dlbruncak,

Another way this can be done to jobs in the future, as it sounds like you already have these composed, is to add the watermark to the base art of the PDF. Then in the Composition settings > Graphics tab, check the box to 'Suppress static PDF background in composition'. This will also require that you place any other static art for the document into a variable frame, so that it does not get dropped out at composition.

Hope this helps

@Freighttrain

If I were going to do this in FusionPro, I would make a variable text frame on top of everything else and make a rule something like...

Proof = 1;
if (Proof == 1)
return "Low Res Proof";
else
       return "";

When you are ready to compose final files, change first line to "Proof = 0;".

This way, you don't have to put all the static elements in variable frames.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for all of the suggestions.

I think the rule is the way I am going to go. Just wondering, is it possible to call a rule from the cfg file? I am using 2 cfg files and composing the product in 2 locations, 1 for preview on screen (low-res-proof) and a hi-res for production.

What I am thinking is if I can write a simple rule to place a textframe with "PROOF" in every file from the config it will solve my problems.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions!

Daren

I think the rule is the way I am going to go. Just wondering, is it possible to call a rule from the cfg file? I am using 2 cfg files and composing the product in 2 locations, 1 for preview on screen (low-res-proof) and a hi-res for production.

What I am thinking is if I can write a simple rule to place a textframe with "PROOF" in every file from the config it will solve my problems.

Yes, this is possible. In FusionPro 5.8 and later, you can access the CFG (job) file settings in JavaScript rules via the FusionPro.Composition.JobOptions object. So if you add a line to the CFG file like "Proof=0", you can access it in a rule like so:

if (Int(FusionPro.Composition.JobOptions["Proof"]))
 return "Low Res Proof";

Then you can simply change the line in the CFG file to "Proof=1" for the proof composition.

• 1 month later...
I still do not have any ideas how to add frame with "Low-Resolution Proof" to already existed templates. This frame should be on client's preview only. All templates are on our P1 store. The idea to turn off static background will not work as many templates have this static background and need it for final HiRes printing. Any help - if it's possible at all?

I still do not have any ideas how to add frame with "Low-Resolution Proof" to already existed templates. This frame should be on client's preview only. All templates are on our P1 store. The idea to turn off static background will not work as many templates have this static background and need it for final HiRes printing. Any help - if it's possible at all?

Mike, your question is in a completely different context than Daren's. He's using FusionPro Server, and he is writing out the CFG file settings via his own custom solution. You're using FusionPro Web, which is a different paradigm where the FP Web application handles the CFG settings through various web forms. In other words, you don't have direct access to CFG file settings to modify, but I think there are ways to determine at composition time whether you're in a client preview. I suggest asking your FP Web-specific questions in the FP Web subforum.

• 1 year later...

Dan:

Yes, this is possible. In FusionPro 5.8 and later, you can access the CFG (job) file settings in JavaScript rules via the FusionPro.Composition.JobOptions object. So if you add a line to the CFG file like "Proof=0", you can access it in a rule like so:

if (Int(FusionPro.Composition.JobOptions["Proof"]))
 return "Low Res Proof";

Then you can simply change the line in the CFG file to "Proof=1" for the proof composition.

If I am using a variable (you call it "Proof"), where and how is that delcared in the template? i.e. var Proof = ?

If I put it as the first line in the .cfg file does that automatically declare it for the template?

Or does it even need to be declared as a variable type at all?

Dan:

If I am using a variable (you call it "Proof"), where and how is that delcared in the template? i.e. var Proof = ?

It's a CFG file setting, not a JavaScript variable, so you don't want any "var" keyword. The CFG file is basically an INI file without section headers; it's just simple key-value pairs, one per line, with an equal sign delimiter.

If I put it as the first line in the .cfg file does that automatically declare it for the template?

Well, technically it's "declared" for the composition (the "job"), not for the template itself. But yes, if you put it in the CFG file, it's available to the entire job. The FusionPro.Composition.JobOptions object allows you to access the CFG file settings in a JavaScript rule (just like the Field function allows you to access the input data file).

Or does it even need to be declared as a variable type at all?

No, again, it's not a JavaScript variable, it's just a line in the CFG file.

You can just place a line like so anywhere in the CFG file:

Proof=1

Although, to avoid any possible "name space" problems or conflicts, you might want to name the setting something specific to you, such as:

HKM_Proof=1

(Note that I'm using a "Code" block here in the forum to disambiguate the CFG entry from the body of my post, but again, it's not JavaScript code; it's just a line in the CFG file.)

Archived