line break rule

NPN

Hi,

I have a line break rule that used to work. It was created by the fantastic Dan some time ago.

It's a bit of code that basically inserts a &nbsp between the last and second last word, if the sentence is to wide for the text field. (I don't actually understand the code properly). So that the last word doesn't stand on it's own.

Heres how it should look:

Example Company

Two AS

Here's what happens:

Example Company

TwoAS

So, it removes a regular space where it inserts a hard space as far as I understand.

Here's the code:

var name = CreateResource("department\\" + Field("department") + ".txt", "tagged text file", true);

return name.content.replace(/(.*)(\s)(.+)$/, "$1 $3");

I've recreated the error within the zip file I've attached.

example.zip

I'm not sure if I understand the problem you're having. In the example you attached, the nonbreaking space is honored when I preview the file. So the result I see is:

Example Company

Two As

If you return the rule with "Treat returned strings as tagged text" unchecked do you see the   in the returned string?

I'm not sure if I understand the problem you're having. In the example you attached, the nonbreaking space is honored when I preview the file. So the result I see is:

Quote:

Example Company

Two As

hmm. That´s weird. I thought maybe it was font related earlier, but I changed back to Arial to check earlier today, and it still did not work for me.

If you return the rule with "Treat returned strings as tagged text" unchecked do you see the   in the returned string?
I am not at work right now, so I cannot check. But when I verified the code I got   in return. I tried editing the code and inserting either a normal blank space or a <br>, but that just mucked up the code.

This is really frustrating because I have tried so many things, and I do not understand why it suddenly stopped working. Especially since i recreated the problem in a new document using new files.

Is there anything I can do to make it work temporarily? Can i force a space in the return code somehow?

Maybe a different approach would work.

I could achieve more or less the same thing if I had a code that would insert a line break after the second word IF the sentence is too long for one line.

Could anyone help me with the code for that?

The most important thing right now is to get it working, I can always figure out why the code above does not work later.

I've recreated the error within the zip file I've attached.

Thanks. The problem has something to do with the font "Foundry Form Sans Demi". It seems to work correctly for me with just about any other font.

Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to analyze font-specific issues in the context of this forum. I suggest contacting Support.

You are indeed right. Seems to be a font specific problem. As I said earlier, I did suspect this and tried another font, but that didn't work either. I see now that most fonts work, but there are several that doesn't. Another one that doesn't work for example is Frutiger 45 light.

Another bug (if you can call it that) happens if I try the font Consolas, then there are two spaces instead of one where the hardspace is inserted.

I don't really understand how different fonts can produce different results in this case. I thought at least a space was the same in all fonts?

Archived