Helvetica Issue

Adam

I have a new Mac, running Snow Leopard (10.6.3) and I'm having an issue with Helvetica. Helvetica previews fine, but does not compose correctly. This is the opposite of the Helvetica issue with "Use Local Fonts" that has been posted here.

Here's the preview:

http://www.econoprint-racine.com/adam/fp-helv1.png

...and the output:

http://www.econoprint-racine.com/adam/fp-helv2.png

I have not experienced this issue with any other fonts.

Anyone have any ideas??

Running FP 6.2P1a/Acrobat 9.3.2

Thanks,

Adam

Edited by Adam

OFF TOPIC:

Your other info right above their name in the address block "1 1 1" could go to the RIGHT of the endorsement line. You could separate them by an asterisk also. Comes in handy when you are tight on space for the address block.

I have this problem sometimes too, but since it most often happens when I am trying to use a generic, sans serif font for mailing addresses, I just switch to the system's Helvetica Neue instead and it works. Perhaps that option will work for you as well. :)

Yeah, I've just been switching it to Arial. I was just wondering, since it never happened on my old 10.4 Mac.

Thanks for the tip on putting my extra numbers with the endorsement, rpaterick.

Hi Adam,

Definitely looks like a font cache issue. Do you have Font Nuke? It's a must-have freebie for cleaning font caches. The guy who wrote it did a great job setting it up to search out and clean out all kinds of font caches. His website: http://www.jamapi.com/pr/fn/

The one other place that can bite you is the printable font cache. (Font Nuke doesn't look there to clean caches, nor does any cache cleaning utility I know of).

If the problem persists after a general cache clean with Font Nuke, navigate to Library>Preferences>Printable>Fonts where you'll likely find a slew of font files. This is where Fusion stores font files when you choose Load Fonts. Clean it out (save the files in a folder on your desktop if you're worried about it). Then re-launch Acrobat and Load Fonts (pretty much always gotta load fonts from Acrobat with Fusion). If the Font Nuke cleaning didn't clear out a damaged cache file, this step will.

I usually find my problem is a cache file that Font Nuke takes care of. But sometimes something gets scrambled in the Printable Fonts folder and digging into the Printable folder fixes things.

Oh, when you run Font Nuke, make sure you click the button to Update the cache list and then nuke them. Note that it will make you restart your Mac.

Hope that helps!

-kim

That worked like a charm, Kim. Thanks!

I'm familiar with cleaning caches, and had done that. What I wasn't familiar with was FP's font cache. I think clearing that out is what did the trick.

-Adam

• 1 month later...

With regards to the packaging information being put on the same line as the endorsement, no other information can appear on the same line (DMM 708.7.1.3). I put that information in its own box to the right of the name (with maybe an inch or so of space in between) and preview the longest name to be sure there's no overprint.

"Keyline

A mailer's keyline or comparable information may not be placed on the same line as the OEL or on the line above the OEL."

• 1 year later...
Hi Adam,

Definitely looks like a font cache issue. Do you have Font Nuke? It's a must-have freebie for cleaning font caches. The guy who wrote it did a great job setting it up to search out and clean out all kinds of font caches. His website: http://www.jamapi.com/pr/fn/

The one other place that can bite you is the printable font cache. (Font Nuke doesn't look there to clean caches, nor does any cache cleaning utility I know of).

If the problem persists after a general cache clean with Font Nuke, navigate to Library>Preferences>Printable>Fonts where you'll likely find a slew of font files. This is where Fusion stores font files when you choose Load Fonts. Clean it out (save the files in a folder on your desktop if you're worried about it). Then re-launch Acrobat and Load Fonts (pretty much always gotta load fonts from Acrobat with Fusion). If the Font Nuke cleaning didn't clear out a damaged cache file, this step will.

I usually find my problem is a cache file that Font Nuke takes care of. But sometimes something gets scrambled in the Printable Fonts folder and digging into the Printable folder fixes things.

Oh, when you run Font Nuke, make sure you click the button to Update the cache list and then nuke them. Note that it will make you restart your Mac.

Hope that helps!

-kim

I had issues with a font, now that I went and cleaned that out and reloaded now no font works on any template... even though I can see them through the editing of the text box.... I had to end up uninstalling FP and reinstalling.

Edited by n2_space

After cleaning out the font cache, I think you need to have FP rebuild the font cache using FusionPro->Advanced->Load Fonts.

I did that... and rebooted and did it again, both load all and load new, neither worked. I just had to uninstall and reinstall to get it to work, but at least it worked, whew! :cool:

• 1 year later...

I'm also having trouble with helvetica.

It won't embed!!

I'm using FusionPro 8.

The font is loaded & works fine. When I open the composed pdf, got to: File/Properties/Fonts: Helvetica is NOT embeded! Does anyone have any ideas?http://forums.printable.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=731&stc=1&d=1350487826

ComposedPDF.png.f840a2ae5637eaab4faad941bb89f7ce.png

I haven't tried Font Nuke but I typically go to: /Library/Preferences/PTI/FusionPro/Fonts.

I'll delete all the fonts here then reload all fonts then restart Acrobat and FusionPro.

Like I said everything works well Except:

When I compose and open the pdf, Helvetica is not embedded.

I'm using FusionPro 8.0.13

I'm also having trouble with helvetica.

It won't embed!!

I'm using FusionPro 8.

The font is loaded & works fine. When I open the composed pdf, got to: File/Properties/Fonts: Helvetica is NOT embeded! Does anyone have any ideas?

FusionPro 8.0 and 8.1 on Mac had a bug handling Type 1 fonts. This is fixed in FusionPro 8.2.

Yeah, lots of bugs in the early versions of 8. I'd highly recommend updating as soon as you can.

Oftentimes, the issue is a system font cache (outside of the special FusionPro fonts folder). You can go to all the different font cache folders and delete files manually, but since the Mac is a bit of a beast with fonts and it's tedious to do it manually, a font cache cleaner is definitely your friend. I'm partial to Font Nuke but there are plenty of other options if you prefer another solution.

Really can't stress how important updating will be though for lots of various issues.

Well I just tried Font Nuke. It was about like I expected. All the fonts loaded no problem but when I composed a file and opened the pdf; Only 1 font was not embedded, Helvetica. That's going to be a problem for our printers.

The problem with upgrading is, we have all these sites working. They use an older version of FusionPro. Upgrading means stopping work and lots of testing to make sure nothing gets broken. Upgrading desktop is easy, upgrading server is not taken lightly over here.

I'm not sure what the next move will be.