Unwanted characters exporting from FusionPro

J_Ruskin

I am having a problem exporting from FusionPro. I don't know if there is a font problem the way I have my code...I don't know what is going on. When I preview in FusionPro my program works correctly. I have my boxes displaying (using zapf dingbats) when cycling through the preview. My problem is coming when I export to a pdf. I am getting unwanted character boxes. I am copying my code. I don't know if it is the problem seeing that it is working correctly. I am also attaching screenshots viewing in fusion pro and exporting from it. If could sure use some help understanding what is going on. Thanks

var COL1 = '<f name="ITC Zapf Dingbats">o</f>'+' '+' '+' '+' '+' '+' '+ Rule("CaseSelectCollegeOne");

var COL2 = '<f name="ITC Zapf Dingbats">o</f>'+' '+' '+' '+' '+' '+' '+ Rule("CaseSelectCollegeTwo");

var COL3 = '<f name="ITC Zapf Dingbats">o</f>'+' '+' '+' '+' '+' '+' '+ Rule("CaseSelectCollegeThree");

// checks the contents of the the college field for empty fields. if field is empty it prints nothing. if the field is full it will print the contents of the field.

if (Field("COLLEGE3") != "")

{

var result = COL1 + ' ' + ' ' + ' ' + ' ' + ' ' + ' ' + COL2 + ' ' + ' ' + ' ' + ' ' + ' ' + ' ' +COL3;

}

else if (Field("COLLEGE2") != "")

{

var result = COL1 + ' ' + ' ' + ' ' + ' ' + ' ' + ' ' + COL2;

}

else if (Field("COLLEGE1") != "")

{

var result = COL1;

}

else {

return "";

}

return result

ScreenShotviewingfromFusionPro.jpg.1449c0bd0cd0e108597cc526703ad5c7.jpg

ScreenShotExportedfromFusionPro.jpg.dc1a935496878d9ee925b31e2a615201.jpg

Are you embedding fonts in the output? Check the options on the Output tab of the Composition Settings.

You might also want to try checking (or un-checking) the "Limit processing to Mac Roman text" box on the Advanced tab.

Also, what versions of FusionPro, Acrobat, and macOS?

Edited by Dan Korn

Those are missing glyph symbols. It's a result of the   character and whichever font you have assigned to the text not having a glyph specifically for it, I believe.

if you change your return to something like this it should remove the boxes.

return result.replace(" ","<f name=‘Helvetica’> </f>");

Why does it preview and compose differently? I'm not sure. I always thought the preview was just a compose and convert to image happening in the background. But, I'm guessing there's a slightly different path happening which leads to the inconsistency.

Those are missing glyph symbols. It's a result of the   character and whichever font you have assigned to the text not having a glyph specifically for it, I believe.

if you change your return to something like this it should remove the boxes.

return result.replace(" ","<f name=‘Helvetica’> </f>");

I have to disagree with that.

While there is a Unicode non-breaking space character, there's no glyph for it. It's invisible, after all. That character, or the " " entity, just tells a typesetter (FusionPro in this case) that it's not allowed to break to a new line at that space when typesetting, but a regular space character still gets put in the output. (Though in some cases, no character at all is put out for a space, just a move command in PDF or PostScript to advance to where the next word starts. All that really matters in the output is that the visible glyphs representing the text are all in the right place relative to each other for a human to read them, and exactly how their placement is accomplished is an implementation detail.)

So, while there's probably a simpler way to accomplish the desired spacing than using multiple   entities, such as tabs, or a table, or maybe even just tag such as <space count=6>, I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with the problem at hand.

Why does it preview and compose differently? I'm not sure. I always thought the preview was just a compose and convert to image happening in the background. But, I'm guessing there's a slightly different path happening which leads to the inconsistency.

Yes. There can be differences between preview and composed output, for a multitude of reasons, including rules that do something different depending on what was composed in previous records. Some features are also purposefully disabled for Preview, such as Imposition, Overflow page insertion, page resizing, and other features which wouldn't make sense for preview. Then there are features which have a user option to honor them at Preview time or not, such as Personalized Images and Drop Shadows. Also, graphics are down sampled for Preview, and fonts are (generally) NOT embedded, since you're only going to be seeing the Preview locally, on your machine, where you're running Acrobat.

Preview is intended as a quick way to see how changes to the template or the data will affect the output, but it is not all guaranteed to have complete fidelity with composed output.

With Acrobat DC on Mac in particular, the Preview is done in a different way, where the composed PDF is rendered using Core Graphics in macOS, rather than being rendered by Acrobat. So there are sometimes subtle differences. There is a setting to embed fonts in Preview, even though that normally isn't done, that sometimes helps with particular fonts that don't otherwise appear properly in Preview in Acrobat DC on Mac. However, in this case, it's the other way around, where the font seems to preview correctly, but is not correct in composed output, so I don't think that setting would help here.

Anyway, I don't think there's much else that can be done to troubleshoot this here without having, at a minimum, the job files. So J_Ruskin, you can feel free to post your template (or a minimal example which demonstrates the problem) here, and someone might be able to figure out what's going on. However, I suspect that a full analysis of the problem may require examination of your font as well, and since posting fonts to this forum is not allowed, that would require going through Support. Support is probably your best bet anyway, so you might as well just go ahead and contact them.