Template change

vpratap

Transferring Layout and Rules from a previous job

You need to make sure that if you are using FusionPro template

Rules, select "FusionPro>>Edit Rules".

Highlight the Rule and click "Convert To JavaScript".

Click "Ok", "Ok" and save the template.

Now compose one record. This will save the settings in the file

This will ensure all the Rules will get transferred when using this

solution

If you are building an identical job that has the same layout,

variable frames, rules, but different data file with the same field

names, and would like to eliminate the need to reconstruct the

FusionPro PDF; this tip will help.

First, click "FusionPro", "Data Definition", "Wizard".

Select "Import Data Source From Another Document".

Click Next.

Browse to the folder that contains the original pdf you want the

information imported from.

The name of the file will have a ".def" extension. Select it. Click

"Open".

Click "Finish"

Click "FusionPro", "Advanced", "Import".

A dialog box will appear with the following options preselected:

Variable Layout, Colors, Style.

Browse to the folder containing the original pdf .

An easier solution (read: a solution for the lazy - like myself) would be to just draw a graphic frame over your original background and pull in your new artwork by assigning a graphic rule to the new frame. This will allow you to continue using the same template for multiple background revisions without having to move your frames, rules, or create a completely different template. Here's how:

1. Draw a graphic frame spanning the entire template
  2. Create a graphic rule called "Background" that will consist of the following:
    var bg = '/path/to/background.pdf'; // Change to fit your template
    bg = CreateResource(bg);
    bg.pagenumber = 2; // Optionally specify the page number in the PDF to return
    return bg;

3. Assign the rule to the graphic frame:

Click the "[Field or Rule]" drop down

Select the "Background" rule you just created. If you don't see it, you may have created a text rule instead of a graphic rule

Set the "fill" to white

Adjust aligning and scaling as you see fit.

4. Move the frame to the back (FusionPro > Layers > Send Frame to Back)

I typically set my templates up like this initially. Admittedly, I don't include any graphics in my template files but you could easily remove them from yours with PitStop or a similar tool if you are worried about the original background causing the job to compose with unused spots or something (though with the white fill in the graphic box, I don't think that would happen).

I typically set my templates up like this initially. Admittedly, I don't include any graphics in my template files but you could easily remove them from yours with PitStop or a similar tool if you are worried about the original background causing the job to compose with unused spots or something (though with the white fill in the graphic box, I don't think that would happen).

You can also simply check the "Suppress static background in composition" box on the Graphics tab of the Composition Settings dialog. This is often used for jobs which are going to put variable data on top of a pre-printed "shell" background. In such a case, you want to see the background in Preview, but not include it in the composed output.

Also, if you do want to remove the background pictures and text, you don't need PitStop. You can use the Content Editing tools which are built into Acrobat Pro. Just select the "Edit Text & Images" tool, then, for each page, "Select All" from the Edit menu (or Ctrl-A on Windows or Command-A on Mac), and then press the Delete key. Voila, no more background!