Strange font issue

scotts

I have a job, that is using the font "Myriad Pro Black". I can preview the job just fine, but when I goto compose it, I get a message about the normal style not loaded. I've been having some issues with other fonts that are using Bold, and after researching the problem, I found out that I needed to use HTML coding to get that weight of the font. Although I did not find anything dealing with extended font weights such as: Black, SemiBold, Extended, Narrow, etc.:

Job started 13:44:18 - 1378835058.

Creator: FusionPro VDP Creator 8.2.7

Computer Name: Scott's iMac

Current working folder: /

Template File: /Users/PrepressImac/Documents/ePace_DSF_Files/CRC/2013_Fusion/Banner/Card_Banner.dif

Input File: /Users/PrepressImac/Documents/ePace_DSF_Files/CRC/2013_Fusion/Banner/Banner_Data.txt

Job Config File: /Users/PrepressImac/Documents/ePace_DSF_Files/CRC/2013_Fusion/Banner/Banner_Data-Output.cfg

Composing record #1, input record 1

Failed to load font Helvetica

Font ID 127 is not loaded into DTL properly. Default plain style font is used instead

Font <Myriad Pro Black> normal style is not loaded, using bold style of this font family.

Composing record #2, input record 2

Composing record #3, input record 3

Job ended 13:44:19 - 1378835059.

In the fonts.ini file i have the following entry:

Myriad Pro Black;MyriadPro-Black;Black;1;0;W;0;OpenType PostScript;/Library/Preferences/PTI/FusionPro/Fonts/MyriadPro-Black.bfk;/Library/Preferences/PTI/FusionPro/Fonts/MyriadPro-Black.pfa;/Library/Preferences/PTI/FusionPro/Fonts/MyriadPro-Black.otf;/Library/Preferences/PTI/FusionPro/Fonts/MyriadPro-Black.ufk

In the fonts.err file I have the following entry:

INFO: Using font name "Myriad Pro Black" instead of family name "Myriad Pro".

When i go to the referenced directory, the .bfk, .pfa, .otf, and .ufk files are there.

I am running Mac OS 10.6.8, Adobe Acrobat 10.1.6, and FP VDP Creator 8.2.7.

Thanks

Scott

I have a job, that is using the font "Myriad Pro Black". I can preview the job just fine, but when I goto compose it, I get a message about the normal style not loaded.

Okay, well, the message in the log file notwithstanding, does the right font appear in the output? If so, then I wouldn't worry about the log message.

That said, if you really want the message to go away, include a <b> tag wherever you're calling out the Myriad Pro Black font, or click the "B" button in the Variable Text Editor, to explicitly call out the bold style of the font.

The thing is, unlike some engines (such as InDesign), FusionPro deals with fonts as families, where each family can have up to four faces, or styles: plain (also called normal or regular), bold, italic and bold plus italic. Under this paradigm, the font selected in the drop-down list in the Variable Text Editor or in the <f name="***"> tag in markup is the family name, and the style selected is based on the B and I buttons in the editor, or <b> and <i> tags in markup.

However, not all fonts are arranged into families with exactly four styles this way. So with a font such as Myriad Pro, FusionPro also gives you the ability to select "Myriad Pro Black" as if it were a separate family, even though it really isn't. But the "family" for "Myriad Pro Black" has only one face (style): specifically, it only has a "bold" style, not a "normal" style, so it outputs that single bold style regardless of whether a <b> tag is in effect or not, and it issues a message (not an error) in the log file if the style you're calling out isn't exactly the style that the tags call out.

Thanks Dan for explaining the details on how Fusion handles fonts. This will help in troubleshooting issues in the future.

The font 'Previews' fine, and when I 'Compose' the file, the font looks correct. But when I 'Collect for Output' to upload to a server running Fusion Producer, the font does not appear correctly in the update view or when I download a PDF proof. It is acting like the font is not being uploaded.

So I checked the .dif file only mentions 'MyriadPro-Regular' in the 'fontdict'.

The font 'Myriad Pro Black' is not even included. I would think that it should be referenced here, but I could be wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Scott

Thanks Dan for explaining the details on how Fusion handles fonts. This will help in troubleshooting issues in the future.

The font 'Previews' fine, and when I 'Compose' the file, the font looks correct. But when I 'Collect for Output' to upload to a server running Fusion Producer, the font does not appear correctly in the update view or when I download a PDF proof. It is acting like the font is not being uploaded.

So I checked the .dif file only mentions 'MyriadPro-Regular' in the 'fontdict'.

The font 'Myriad Pro Black' is not even included. I would think that it should be referenced here, but I could be wrong.

So there are a couple of things that could be going wrong.

The first thing to check is to make sure that you're embedding fonts in your output. On the Composition Settings dialog, the Output tab, make sure the "Embed Fonts" box is checked.

The next thing I would ask is, what exactly do you mean when you say that you "upload to a server running Fusion Producer?" Do you mean you check the "Use FusionPro Direct" box in the Composition Settings dialog? Or do you collect the job to a Zip file or a folder and then manually upload it to some other application utilizing FusionPro Producer API, such as a web-to-print system? And if so, exactly what web-to-print system? And what version of FusionPro VDP Producer or Producer API is running there? When you upload the job to whatever system this is, do you include the Assets.dat file?

Also, what does the log (.msg) file from the Producer composition say about the fonts?

Also, how are you using the font in the job? That is, are you selecting it in the Variable Text Editor, or are you only invoking it with markup tagging, i.e. <f name = "Myriad Pro Black">?

If the font is being used in the text editor dialog, then it should get automatically collected up with the job and used for composition on the remote Producer machine.

However, if you're only calling out the font with markup tags, it may not get collected. The best way to solve this is to create a Formatted Text Resource, type some text (anything at all) into it, and select the font. You don't need to actually call out the Formatted Text Resource in a rule or output it, but having the font used in there will assure that it gets collected up. If you have multiple fonts referenced in tagging like this, you don't need to make a new resource for each; you can add some text in each font in that same (unused) Formatted Text Resource.

You can also use the Font Usage dialog (from the menu in Acrobat: FusionPro -> Advanced -> Font Usage) to see all of the fonts referenced in the job, which will be collected. If the font you need isn't listed in there, then you need to add it to the job, in a Formatted Text Resource.

First let me say, thanks Dan, the Formatted Text Resource, seems to have worked. And will probably take care of some other issues I have been having with some other items.

I did have 'Embed Fonts' box checked.

I am not using Fusion Pro Direct, but was collecting the job to a Zip file to use with EFI Digital StoreFront, running Producer. I'm not sure on the version though. Yes, I am including the Assets.dat file.

I am only using the font via markup tags, so I it appears that, that was my issue all along.

Thanks again Dan.

Scott