Replacing static background

Cmostaert

Hi there,

We are very new to FusionPro and Indesign. We have a 2 sided postcard that has 3 variable text boxes. We have a revision to make to the static background which is being done in InDesign. How do we do this without having to rework the variable boxes too. It seems that this should be an easy task to replace that image and we are just missing it.

Thanks

CMostaert

Transferring Layout and Rules from a previous job

You need to make sure that if you are using FusionPro template Rules, select “FusionPro>>Edit Rules”.

Highlight the Rule and click “Convert To JavaScript”.

Click “Ok”, “Ok” and save the template.

This will ensure all the Rules will get transferred when using the solution I provided.

If you are building an identical job that has the same layout, variable frames, rules,but different data file with the same

field names, and would like to eliminate the need to reconstruct the FusionPro PDF; this tip will help.

First, click "FusionPro", "Data Definition", "Wizard".

Select "Import Data Source From Another Document".

Click Next.

Browse to the folder that contains the original pdf you want the information imported from.

The name of the file will have a ".def" extension. Select it. Click "Open".

Click "Finish"

Click "FusionPro", "Advanced", "Import".

A dialog box will appear with the following options preselected:

Variable Layout, Colors, Style.

Browse to the folder containing the original pdf .

This is one reason I have found it much better to create "blank" FP templates with a full page graphic frame to import the static background as a separate graphic. Then, if static elements change, you just replace/update the graphic file and the revised file is pulled in the next time you process data. This also allows the possibility of "generic" templates (i.e. business cards) assuming you have multiple versions that all user similar positions for variable text.

This is one reason I have found it much better to create "blank" FP templates with a full page graphic frame to import the static background as a separate graphic. Then, if static elements change, you just replace/update the graphic file and the revised file is pulled in the next time you process data. This also allows the possibility of "generic" templates (i.e. business cards) assuming you have multiple versions that all user similar positions for variable text.

Yes, I recommend this approach as well. The "background" is just another variable element.

Furthermore, if you're using FusionPro VDP Producer to compose (either FP Direct, or FP Server/Producer API, such as in a web-to-print system like MarcomCentral or EFI Digital Storefront), then you can also modify the positions of the frames on the page with JavaScript rules, and create a template with variable layout as well as variable content. So the variable text doesn't have to be in similar places for multiple versions in that case.