Go Back   PTI Marketing Technologies User Community > Software-Related Talk > FusionPro® VDP Creator > Imposition

Notices

Old February 16th, 2016, 09:09 AM
Forum n00b

Default Landscape Imposition

I'm having trouble setting up a "Saddle Stitch" imposition for a landscape document.

Our FP document is 11"x8.5" and we'd like to impose onto 11"x17", but I can't figure out the right settings.

I know this works for a 8.5"x11" original but can it also work for 11"x8.5"?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old February 16th, 2016, 11:09 AM
Forum n00b

Default Re: Landscape Imposition

Here's a zip file containing two documents which might make the problem more clear.

The file "8pgPortrait.pdf" contains eight 8.5x11 pages and a basic imposition file "11x17 Saddle Stitching Portrait.fpi" which generates the desired output.

The file "8pgLandscape.pdf" contains the same eight pages rotated to a landscape orientation. I have attempted to alter the matching "11x17 Saddle Stitching Landscape.fpi" imposition file but have not been able to achieve the same result.

Our goal would be to modify the "...Landscape.fpi" file to produce the same results as the "portrait" version.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Imposition Testing.zip (267.9 KB, 12 views)
Old February 16th, 2016, 12:45 PM
FusionPro Senior Engineer / Forum Moderator

Set the sheet size to custom, 8.5x22".
LinkedIn

I am a not a Support engineer, and this forum is not a substitute for Support. My participation on this forum is primarily as a fellow user (and a forum moderator). I am happy to provide help and answers to questions when I can; however, there is no guarantee that I, or anyone else on this forum, will be able to answer all questions or fix any problems. If I ask for files to clarify an issue, I might not be able to look at them personally. I am not able to answer private messages, emails, or phone calls unless they go through proper Support channels. Please direct any sales or pricing questions to your salesperson or inquiries@pti.com.

Complex template-building questions, as well as all installation and font questions or problems, should be directed to FusionProSupport@PTI.com. Paid consulting work may be required to fulfill your template-building needs. Please do not post proprietary font files to this forum.

Please include the specific versions of FusionPro, Acrobat, and your operating system in any problem reports or help requests. I recommend putting this information in your forum signature. Please also check your composition log (.msg) file for relevant error or warning messages.

Please post questions specific to the MarcomCentral Enterprise and Web-to-Print applications in the MarcomCentral forum. Click here to request access. Or contact your Business Relationship Manager (BRM/CPM) for assistance.

Please direct any questions specific to EFI's Digital StoreFront (DSF) to EFI support.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

The correct spellings are JavaScript, FusionPro, and MarcomCentral (each with two capital letters and no spaces). Acceptable abbreviations are JS, FP, and MC (or MCC). There is no "S" at the end of "Expression" or "Printable"! The name of the product is FusionPro, not "Fusion". "Java" is not is not the same as JavaScript.

Check out the JavaScript Guide and JavaScript Reference! FusionPro 8.0 and newer use JavaScript 1.7. Older versions use JavaScript 1.5.

return "KbwbTdsjqu!spdlt\"".replace(/./g,function(w){return String.fromCharCode(w.charCodeAt()-1)});
Old February 16th, 2016, 12:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Are you asking how to make an 22" x 8.5" book fit on an 11"x17" sheet? I can pretty confidently say that FusionPro does not have that capability.

If you impose your landscape file on a larger press sheet (a 22" x 17" sheet for example) and rotate it 90 degrees, do you get the layout you're aiming for?

Did I completely misunderstand your question? It might be helpful if you show us what you want it to look like.
Mac OS X 10.12

LinkedIn
Old February 16th, 2016, 12:55 PM
Forum n00b

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm actually looking to have 11x17 output though.

Basically, I'm trying to get the same exact imposed output for either portrait or landscape inputs.
Old February 16th, 2016, 01:55 PM
Forum n00b

Alternatively, if the imposition thing is difficult/not possible, is there some way to rotate an entire FP template that I'm not seeing?
Old February 16th, 2016, 02:02 PM
Senior Contributor

I still don't understand what you're trying to do. Could you upload an example of the output you're trying to produce?
Mac OS X 10.12

LinkedIn
Old February 16th, 2016, 02:05 PM
Forum n00b

There's a zip attached to post #2 that contains my examples.

Basically, I have an existing FP template that is built on 11x8.5 pages, like a calendar. The desired output is 11x17 sheets, saddle stitched, like a calendar would be.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to setup an FP imposition that works with 11x8.5 pages. Setting up a saddle stitch imposition using 8.5x11 pages is trivial, but the converse escapes me.
Old February 16th, 2016, 02:54 PM
FusionPro Senior Engineer / Forum Moderator

I see what the problem is. Saddle stitching always wants to stitch along the vertical edges of the pages, to make a booklet that's read left-to-right, where the pages flip from right to left. It sounds like you want to have landscape pages, but you still want to saddle stitch along the long edges of the pages, like a calendar where the pages flip from bottom to top. The problem is that those are the horizontal page edges, and saddle stitching doesn't want to work that way.

So I suppose that what's needed is an enhancement to FusionPro to have a new "Saddle Stitched Horizontal" imposition layout.

In the meantime, you have to use portrait pages in the template PDF.
LinkedIn

I am a not a Support engineer, and this forum is not a substitute for Support. My participation on this forum is primarily as a fellow user (and a forum moderator). I am happy to provide help and answers to questions when I can; however, there is no guarantee that I, or anyone else on this forum, will be able to answer all questions or fix any problems. If I ask for files to clarify an issue, I might not be able to look at them personally. I am not able to answer private messages, emails, or phone calls unless they go through proper Support channels. Please direct any sales or pricing questions to your salesperson or inquiries@pti.com.

Complex template-building questions, as well as all installation and font questions or problems, should be directed to FusionProSupport@PTI.com. Paid consulting work may be required to fulfill your template-building needs. Please do not post proprietary font files to this forum.

Please include the specific versions of FusionPro, Acrobat, and your operating system in any problem reports or help requests. I recommend putting this information in your forum signature. Please also check your composition log (.msg) file for relevant error or warning messages.

Please post questions specific to the MarcomCentral Enterprise and Web-to-Print applications in the MarcomCentral forum. Click here to request access. Or contact your Business Relationship Manager (BRM/CPM) for assistance.

Please direct any questions specific to EFI's Digital StoreFront (DSF) to EFI support.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

The correct spellings are JavaScript, FusionPro, and MarcomCentral (each with two capital letters and no spaces). Acceptable abbreviations are JS, FP, and MC (or MCC). There is no "S" at the end of "Expression" or "Printable"! The name of the product is FusionPro, not "Fusion". "Java" is not is not the same as JavaScript.

Check out the JavaScript Guide and JavaScript Reference! FusionPro 8.0 and newer use JavaScript 1.7. Older versions use JavaScript 1.5.

return "KbwbTdsjqu!spdlt\"".replace(/./g,function(w){return String.fromCharCode(w.charCodeAt()-1)});
Old February 16th, 2016, 02:56 PM
Forum n00b

OK. Thanks for clarifying that I'm not missing a setting somewhere.

Is there some way to rotate an existing FP template? I've tried the Acrobat page rotate which doesn't work, and nothing else I can open the PDF in can see the FP frames.

It feels like I need to rebuild the template by hand