Saddle Stitched w Bleed - Not Erasing Bleed on Fold

marketconnections

Greetings all,

Situation:

Using FPImposer 6.2.3, trying to impose letter size pages with bleed onto a Tabloid extra sheet, in a saddle stitched layout.

Problem:

FPImposer 6 is not erasing bleed where PDF impressions abut, where the physical sheet would fold. Instead, the bleed is running over onto the other page. So, for instance, I'm getting 1/8th inch of the back cover spilling onto the front cover, and vice versa.

I've attached my FPI file. I've set it to Page Size of 8.5x11, Bleed of 0.125. I've tried dorking around with settings to no avail. Right-clicking the preview presents a menu with greyed out options for all 4 "Discard Space" commands.

Is this a bug? Shouldn't FPImposer know to erase the inner bleed on saddle stitched pages on larger sheets? I've searched the forum but can't find anything that seems germane to this particular problem.

The Job is outputting to a Nexpress, which has imposition software that handles this bleed in saddle stitch no problem. However, it doesn't work with "records". If I throw 4 records with 8 pages each, it'll generate a single gigantic 32 page booklet, instead of 4 booklets, according to my operator.

Is FPImposer 7 better at this? I'll upgrade if it solves this issue. Or what Imposition software would be better - though I'd rather not have to use yet another tool to do this job.

Thanks, and happy Thanksgiving down in the US.

BookletImpostionTabExtra-8.fpi

Off the bat, the issue I see is that your final page size is set to 8.75x11.25 as opposed to 8.5x11. Also, I didn't quite understand why you don't have the imposition centered on the page. But after altering those two things, it imposed on my end without issue.

Off the bat, the issue I see is that your final page size is set to 8.75x11.25 as opposed to 8.5x11. Also, I didn't quite understand why you don't have the imposition centered on the page. But after altering those two things, it imposed on my end without issue.

I've tried with your settings, and the document imposes, but I still have the issue with the inside bleed not being erased. See the attached example output test.pdf.

I notice you're on 7.0. Does the inside bleed erase when you impose?

test.pdf

Step is right: seeing the original PDF would help with determining what your problem might be. Although I am currently using FP Imposer 7.x, there is nothing in this regard that should behave differently than FP Imposer 6.x.

I can confirm that if I create a letter-size page with bleeds (all 4 sides) and impose it with FP Imposer using your layout modified as Step indicated in his first post, my output looks correct.

OK, here's a sanitized version of my files, zipped up. test.pdf is the master template. Resource files are in there, as well as the imposition def that I'm using and a data file.

You'll likely have to fix the Path_Root rule for this to compose.

Be interested in seeing what I'm doing wrong. Thanks!

ImpositionSampleFiles.zip

Okay, I didn't know that your backgrounds were being pulled in variably.

In order to make the imposition work, you need to set your image box size to be the full size of the template page (8.75x11.25). Then, you need to turn image clipping on (the scissors at the bottom of the graphic frame editor box). This will allow FP to clip the image in the gutter when imposing the file.

Thanks, step, that's the ticket! Worked like a charm.

Makes sense that it would work this way, I guess. I almost never draw graphic boxes full size when I'm pulling variable resources though. Tend to use the native res of the resources, rather than define it in the graphic copyhole.

I guess this means this imposition method would never work with pulling graphic elements as tagged text in a text box (for use with the method of composing variable length documents from variable length PDF resources). Good to know.

Thanks!

I guess this means this imposition method would never work with pulling graphic elements as tagged text in a text box (for use with the method of composing variable length documents from variable length PDF resources). Good to know.

Imposition doesn't work with variable-length records anyway. Each of your records needs to output exactly the same number of pages as defined in the imposition template.

Dan, that's true, if one was imposing an 8 page spread in record 1 and a 12 pages in record 2. This wouldn't work in the lettershop either, so you wouldn't be doing it that way.

But if you isolated all your 8 page records into 1 data file, all your 12 page records into another data file, and so forth, the <graphic> tagged text overflow method would reduce a significant amount of work in setting up the template.

For instance, in my job there are a set of records that will generate 36 pages. I can isolate those records into a different data file, and select a 36page specific FPI when composing. Using the overflow method would allow me to setup a master template with only a few pages, instead of 36 individual pages with 36 different graphic copyholes (and 36 rules to populate them).

I had such a file setup, but FusionPro kept crashing during composition, so I had to break out into 36 individual pages and use SetBodyPageUsage to turn on and off pages that were not needed for record sets that composed fewer pages.

Perhaps some day there will be a method of overflowing graphic copyholes that does not rely on text blocks and tagged text?

Archived