Output imposed sheets to multiple PDFs - last batch

Mikeness

Appreciate the explanation Dan.

This is massively disappointing for us, as all of our projects are always built around an Access database, and one of the main reasons why we've made the switch to FusionPro from other solutions was its ability to impose and compose in a single step. Exporting all of our queries to flat files would really bog us down as we manipulate the data in production and is therefore not a feasible solution. Having bought the software just before the Holidays, I'm not feeling too confident with the purchase...

Anyways, thanks again for all you help guys.

Mike

This is massively disappointing for us, as all of our projects are always built around an Access database, and one of the main reasons why we've made the switch to FusionPro from other solutions was its ability to impose and compose in a single step. Exporting all of our queries to flat files would really bog us down as we manipulate the data in production and is therefore not a feasible solution. Having bought the software just before the Holidays, I'm not feeling too confident with the purchase...

I completely understand. But I would ask that you don't give up on us just yet. I'm not sure how much detail we can get into here on this forum in terms of exactly what kinds of data you're using, and the specifics of your workflow, but if you're willing to work with us, through Support, we can probably come up with something to meet your needs. Perhaps there's a way we can read Access databases more directly, like the support we added for Excel in 9.2. Or maybe there's something else we can do with that particular ODBC driver, in a less generic way.

Also, are you a FusionPro Server (Producer API) customer? Or do you just have Desktop/Creator to compose in Acrobat? If you need to automate your workflow at all, then you either need, or already have, FP Server; in that case, it should be possible to also automate the process of exporting the data to flat files.

• 1 month later...

I just checked in a fix to make stacked imposition work properly with ODBC data. This fix will likely be included in an upcoming patch release of FusionPro 9.3. Let me know if you want a beta build to try with your ODBC job.

Instead of continuing to bang my head against the wall trying to figure out how to get random record access from ODBC, I changed the code so that FusionPro will now write out the ODBC data to a flat file during preprocessing, and then access the data records from the flat file, based on their file offsets (as determined in preprocessing), in the main composition pass, just like in any other flat-file data job. So the stacking works fine now. And, since we were already doing the preprocessing anyway, it's not really any slower; in fact, since we don't have to re-run the ODBC query, which can be expensive, it's actually faster during the main composition run.