Scaling problem on imposition

CCS_Printing

I'm laying out a 3-up 6" x 11" postcard on a 13" x 19" sheet, to be ordered from a Marcom site. The customer can select different fronts from a drop down list. The problem is that the front is being disproportionately scaled to fit the dimensions while the back side appears exactly how it should. I've checked the media, crop, trim, and bleed boxes, and they are the same on all pages, yet the bleed is being ignored on the first page causing the trim marks to appear in the wrong place. We have the latest versions of Fusion Pro and FPImposer, I'm posting here because I'm not sure where this is happening. Under Viewer Options in MarcomCentral the proportion optimization is set to no and I didn't see any rules that would cause this to happen in the PDF. Is there an option causing this to happen to the first page only that I'm missing? I've attached the .fpi file, the PDF that is being uploaded, and a sample imposed template (only the first position is filled). Any help would be great, I'm still learning and this is hopefully just a basic thing!

1A_2A.fpi

Customizable Postcard-Bulk Distribution.pdf

090820111326127400_4232033p.pdf

Something is definitely funky with your frontsides. When I strip out all the pages except the 2 versions of the front (Relax and Jet), then when I load them in FP Imposer, it says the bleed is .3" - which is obviously different that the .125" you indicated. This is causing a shift in the placement of the page in the imposition (pages are placed not sized on the imposition).

Then when I compose it, it tells me that "The page size in this job differs from the page size in the imposition". I think something is causing the page to have an alternate size or origin for the H & W and it could be the way you defined or did not define the bleed. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to fix it, but I think you need to rebuild these pages. Make sure the bleed content is defined correctly in the export.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for taking a look at the files. We often receive pdfs and no native files, and once in a while get asked by our production team to reduce the gutters to improve print quality. Thus, I will use a tool such as pitstop to redefine the page boxes. On every preview available outside of fusion pro the new media and bleed boxes are recognized exactly how I redefined them, but FP seems to be the elephant that never forgets. So would I be correct in gathering that the native application, and maybe even InDesign exclusively, is the ONLY way to define page boxes without throwing an invisible monkey wrench into things? Thanks again for the help on this...

If you edit the values of a PDF's cropping (crop, bleed, art, trim) in Acrobat after adding FP frames, you need to nudge the frames (arrow up/arrow down) to "reset" their position. To avoid this, we usually place all client-provided PDFs in InDesign and re-export a PDF for FP to guarantee files are set up correctly. This also allows us to confirm transparencies are flattened, fonts are embedded and colors are set up correctly.

P.S. Your template PDF's pages have varying bleed settings which would also cause problems. :)

Where are you seeing the varying bleed settings? Based on a pdf I knew worked I had only defined the media and crop boxes, and they come out to 11.25 x 6.25 and 11 x 6 respectively whether I preview it using pitstop or place the file using the value of those boxes in InDesign. That's where I'm wondering if Fusion Pro remembers page boxes that Adobe software and plug-ins tell me are gone. For example, when I place the file that I posted here (Customizable Postcard-Bulk Distribution.pdf) in InDesign and select "media" under "options / crop to:" all pages place at 11.25 x 6.25, and when I select "crop" under the same menu all pages place at 11 x 6. All other page box options are grayed out (art, trim, bleed), which would seem to verify to me that they aren't there.

It's been rebuilt and now works fine, but I would love to know how/where you're seeing the bleed inconsistencies, as that could save me some time with this client in the future. As always, thanks for the time and help!

When I open "Customizable Postcard-Bulk Distribution.pdf" and pull up the Crop Pages... dialog in Acrobat (cmd-shift-T), on pages 1-3 you show a bleed box setting of 0.125 while on pages 4-5 the bleed setting is 0.0.

If I skip the InDesign workflow for some reason, I usually set Crop/Bleed to 0 and Art/Trim to .125. When I apply the change, I make sure to choose "All" under page range and I only perform one change at a time (going back into the dialog separately for all 4 settings).

• 3 weeks later...
I've used your FPI template with this template and the imposition works fine. When I brought it into Illustrator it showed up as 11.25x6.25 and the pdf was off center. What needs to be done and this does work, is to bring the pdf into Illustrator and reset the document setup to 11x6 and recenter the content. Make sure your pdf is just "saved" not "save as" also make sure that it has no marks and there is .125 bleed. When its brought back into Acrobat and composed everything is centered with proper bleeds.

Archived