Preview not working properly

ThePorge

Mac 10.12.3

Acrobat Build:15.23.20056.213124

Fusion Pro 9.3.36

I've got a two page pdf with the background on both pages in a graphic box that is a pdf that changes depending on the called item in the data file.

The preview of page 1 just stopped working, but the output file still shows the background. I've tried re-starting. Deleting and re-creating the image box. Having no other apps running including the bug-a-boo Suit Case & PitStop. Made sure the resource of the image names didn't have weird characters and were short. Heck, I even changed my rule to do nothing more than return the resource (which verifies with the resource)...Nothing works.

I did create a new pdf with new images boxes and the same files preview correctly. I just have a bunch of rules and position of text boxes in my old pdf and I don't want to start over.

Any Idea on what else I can check to get this working?

I've got a two page pdf with the background on both pages in a graphic box that is a pdf that changes depending on the called item in the data file.

The preview of page 1 just stopped working, but the output file still shows the background.

Can you please elaborate? In what way did the Preview "stop working?" What is the expected result, and how is it different than the actual result? A picture might be worth a thousand words here. A collected template might be worth even more.

Also, what specifically do you mean by "the background?"

Do you mean the static background content in the PDF, below all the variable frames? You can certainly check the "Suppress static PDF background in composition" box on the Graphics tab of the Composition Settings dialog, and that will affect composed output, but it doesn't affect Preview. In Preview, you will always see the static background, even if there's a frame that seems to it up when you're no in Preview. If you want to remove the static background, you need to use the Edit PDF tools in Acrobat.

Or, you can just make an empty frame (text or graphic) that covers the static background and fill it with White.

I've tried re-starting. Deleting and re-creating the image box. Having no other apps running including the bug-a-boo Suit Case & PitStop. Made sure the resource of the image names didn't have weird characters and were short. Heck, I even changed my rule to do nothing more than return the resource (which verifies with the resource)...Nothing works.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "nothing works."

I did create a new pdf with new images boxes and the same files preview correctly. I just have a bunch of rules and position of text boxes in my old pdf and I don't want to start over.

You can always use the Data Definition Wizard and the Import dialog to bring in frames and rules from other PDF templates.

Any Idea on what else I can check to get this working?

It's hard to say without more details. If you could attach the template, that would help.

The background I am referring to is a pdf in a graphic box that changes based on info from the datafile. The preview of this image was working and then just stopped. This graphic box still outputs the correct image when composing the file.

I have now changed one of the images from a pdf to and eps. Brought in the new resource and updated my code. Verified the code is returning the correct resource and the preview is still not showing the background image when turning on preview.

The "Nothing Works" is me referring to everything I'm trying to work thru why this is not previewing.

The background I am referring to is a pdf in a graphic box that changes based on info from the datafile. The preview of this image was working and then just stopped. This graphic box still outputs the correct image when composing the file.

I have now changed one of the images from a pdf to and eps. Brought in the new resource and updated my code. Verified the code is returning the correct resource and the preview is still not showing the background image when turning on preview.

The "Nothing Works" is me referring to everything I'm trying to work thru why this is not previewing.

Can you collect up the job, or a minimal sample job which demonstrates the issue? If so, you can post it here or send it to Support. Otherwise, there's no really much to go on from my end to troubleshoot.

Ok, got it working. Here is what I did. The resource pdfs were in a "Links" folder which had some of the linked resource files. Inside of the Links folder I also had a folder called "Current". I had put them in the Current folder so I could easily swap out the contents of the Current folder with identically named pdfs without fpo copy in them. These fpo pdfs were for being able to correctly position my FusionPro text and graphic boxes only.

This would preview correctly until yesterday. It would always compose correctly. I had also tried removing and re-importing all these resource pdfs. Once I moved the pdfs in question up one level to the Links folder the preview function started working again. Guess I'll know not to do that anymore.

fyi: the Links folder was at the same level as the FusionPro document. I have been working on all of this locally on my laptops hard drive.