Record Number Counts

I'm trying to get record numbers to imprint on body pages that we would use for slip sheets in a job. We print stacks of 700 records and the slip sheet goes on the top of the stack. I haven't worked much with counting and record numbers in Rules so I'm not sure how to accomplish this.

I also add a stack number that would count up every 700 records on the same sheet. Stack 1 is 1-700, stack 2 is 701-1400, etc.

Any hints of where to start with the rule would help. The end record number is different on every data file.

I'm trying to get record numbers to imprint on body pages

You probably want to use the $outputrecordnumber variable. You can simply paste that into the Variable box on the Text Editor and click Insert; you don't need a rule.

Or you may want a similar variable such as $outputrecordnumberbysheet; all the variables are listed here:

http://forums.pti.com/showpost.php?p=13793&postcount=3

that we would use for slip sheets in a job.

That makes things a bit more complicated, because a slip sheet is not technically part of a record. So I think you'll get the number of the first output record on the following imposed sheet.

We print stacks of 700 records and the slip sheet goes on the top of the stack. I haven't worked much with counting and record numbers in Rules so I'm not sure how to accomplish this.

Okay. I don't think the number of records in the stack makes any difference to how those record number variables work.

I also add a stack number that would count up every 700 records on the same sheet. Stack 1 is 1-700, stack 2 is 701-1400, etc.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "add a stack number." Do you actually mean arithmetical addition? Or just that the stack number gets displayed along with the record number somehow? A specific example of what you want to see on each sheet would be helpful. Some job files to look at would be even better.

Anyway, there isn't a variable that tells you the stack number, but there is $impositionsheetnumber. There's also the corresponding property FusionPro.Composition.impositionSheetNumber, which you could use to calculate the stack number in a rule, something like:

return FusionPro.Composition.impositionSheetNumber / 700;

Any hints of where to start with the rule would help. The end record number is different on every data file.

I'm not sure why the end record number would matter.

Thanks Dan. I'm sorry for the confusion of the slip sheet. We have our own slip sheets that we make. I set them up in the layout as a body page and will call them based on a data field.

Our sheets have the job number, which I figured out a way to extract the info from the data file name; a stack number; and then the record numbers in that stack.

We print 700 records at a time and that makes up a stack. The stack number would just increment by 1 every 700 records in the data.