Simplex/Duplex

absopr

I have a 2 page FusionPro Desktop template. Page 1 is just a variable frame and page 2 is an overflow frame. When there is no overflow I would like it to print simplex, when there is an overflow, print duplex. How can I accomplish this?

I tried using Page Media to insert the correct postscript command for simplex and duplex, simplex at the beginning of page1 and duplex at the beginning of page2, but the problem is that I the command for duplex attached to page 2 needs to be inserted at the beginning of page 1, which is already composed.

Any thoughts?????

Thanks in advance.

When you say that you want the output to be simplex or duplex, does that infer that you are using FPImposer during composition? I think what you need to be doing is returning the overflow page for all 2-page records, or a blank page for all 1-page records, and then imposing all records as 2-pagers.

Thanks for the input. I did considered this, however in our production environment where unneeded printer "click charges" prevent us from having blank pages in the print stream, this isn't a practicle solution. We use other composition packages that do allow for this scenario and was wondering how/if FusionPro could achieve the same thing as we love using it whenever we can! Just a guess but how about FusionPro Server?

Appreciate the feedback again, however this too is not an option as I never know how many lines or how long the text is for any given record. The text is coming in straight from a web form in XML format and things like line breaks, <br>, wrapping and other formatting items embedded in the text. The FP template is just one large variable frame taking up the whole first page that gets populated by several javascript rules and an overflow frame on the entire second page to take care of when the first page isn't long enough. What I am looking at now is altering the FP generated postscript to change the media programatically on the fist page to duplex and removing the media call on the second page using Visual Basic. Again I appreciate and thank you for your suggestions.

I just came across in the building blocks of the rules generator the function CalculateTextExtent and SetPageUsage. I am thinking I can use these functions on recordstart to determine the first page to use, one using the postscript for simplex and another using the postscript for duplex and turn the appropriate one on accordingly. Seems like it would work. Have never used this but I will reply back if successful as I have seen several threads regarding this issue.

That worked!

The trick is to determine in points the size of your variable frame, then use the CalculateTextExtent object to determine the size of the actual text that prints and compare them.

Create 2 exact pages, one using postscript command for simplex, the other for duplex giving them unique names. If the variable text height is larger than the actual frame, an overflow has occurred and you can use that to turn on which page you need, simplex or duplex.

Good luck to all going down this path!

Archived