Output to multiple files option

Hello, I have a question, again. I have asked this question in the past but I still can't figure this out. I know this is probably much easier than I have made it, but this is my question?

I am running a variable data job that is 2 sided and running 3 up on my sheet. This job is a very large data job consisting of 193,222 records. Currently, I am exporting this job in sections because of the size by naming it output-1, putting 1-2700 in the range box, and clicking export. Once that on is finished I name the next one output-2, change the range to 2701-5400, click export, output-3 and so on and so on until I get to the end and I export whatever is left.

I am trying to use this "Output to multiple files" option, but can't seem to get it to work. I have tried to use the instructions given in the past but I keep getting an error stating "the number of records requested in a chunk is not compatible with the imposition setting." I have put 2700 in the "number of records per file" in my composition settings. In the imposition, my primary step is set to stack, the count at 900 with infinite stack checked.

What am I doing wrong? My logic is 900 X 3 up is 2700 on the sheet. I have tried all kinds of numbers I think would work to the point I have gotten frustrated, but still get the same error. Will this option export this data in sections like I am currently doing?

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the help.

Create an OnJobStart Rule

FusionPro.Composition.chunksBreakStacks = true

Then you can leave Infinite Stacking in effect in FP Imposer, and still set the "Output to multiple files" setting in the Composition Settings.

It's just a warning message, not an error.

Is the output right? If so, you can ignore the message.

But Fellsway is right. You can't do an "infinite" stack of all records in the job if you're breaking the stack every time a new chunk (output file) is opened. Set the stack number to correspond to the chunking and the message will go away (though the output should be the same).

Susan also is right. If you want the chunking (number of records in each output file) to take precedence over the stacking (number of records in each stack), you can set that in OnJobStart. That will also make the message go away, but you're still not really doing "infinite" stacking, because the stacks are still broken up each time a new output file is created.

• 3 months later...

Well I managed to get this error, but mine was caused by a Jedi-Mind-Trick. Just be careful if you use the Auto-complete rather than finding the function in the Building Blocks window and using the “Insert” button. While in the OnJobStart rule I just started typing “chunk….” in the code window & the rest of the function popped up, or so I thought. What I actually got was “chunksBreakStacks” that I amended “equals true” too (should have been FusionPro.Composition.chunksBreakStacks). I hit the verify button and it all checked good…Got this same error trying to output 1000 records at a time in an Infinite Stack 2 up impo.

These are the type of errors that are very hard for me to find as I'm thinking my code is right. I think it took me a good hour to figure out what I had done wrong.

Well I managed to get this error, but mine was caused by a Jedi-Mind-Trick. Just be careful if you use the Auto-complete rather than finding the function in the Building Blocks window and using the “Insert” button. While in the OnJobStart rule I just started typing “chunk….” in the code window & the rest of the function popped up, or so I thought. What I actually got was “chunksBreakStacks” that I amended “equals true” too (should have been FusionPro.Composition.chunksBreakStacks). I hit the verify button and it all checked good…Got this same error trying to output 1000 records at a time in an Infinite Stack 2 up impo.

These are the type of errors that are very hard for me to find as I'm thinking my code is right. I think it took me a good hour to figure out what I had done wrong.

Sorry for the trouble. The auto-complete in the Rule Editor is not context-aware like in other code editors. It's just a simple list of keywords. Also, JavaScript lets you declare any variable and set it, so you wouldn't get any errors from making a global variable called chunksBreakStacks.

I recommend searching in the Functions and Objects tabs of the Building Blocks and inserting from there. That should give you the correct syntax, and the description in the Building Blocks should have additional information about how to use it.

I also recommend searching here on this forum to find working examples.