RE: Merge job with PDF's as graphics

saguy

Hello all! Newbie here.

I have a PDF that needs to have another PDF inserted as a graphic element.

I have a list of addresses with water use with every address having a unique location code.

e.g.

location name address zip

12345 Jack Sparrow 124 Buckaneer 90201

12346 Jack I. Box 127 Buckaner 90201

I have a directory of PDF files, with each files name the unique location number.

e.g.

12345.pdf

12346.pdf.

How can I setup a field to insert the correct PDF with the correct address?

Thank you!

Two ways:

1. From the Rules dialog, click "New", click the Graphic button, then select the "Insert Picture Rule" XML Template, click Next, then select your field, select PDF as the type, and enter the directory directory containing the PDF files as the Search Path.

- OR -

2. Add the directory containing the PDF files to the Search Path on the Advanced tab of the Composition Settings dialog, then create a Graphic JavaScript rule like so:

return CreateResource(Field("location") + ".pdf");

http://s29.postimg.org/4v2ofxklz/Settings_for_Variable_Graphic.png

So I have the PDF setup with a graphic field that fills the page I need.

The PDF is in /work directory and the files are (For example) the /work/LocationID directory.

I current have test.pdf in the "Enter the image name of the default graphic" field, as I cannot close this dialog box without something in that field.

I merge and nothing is inserted. Where am I going wrong?

I have an older version of FusionProImposer apparently.

The PDF is in /work directory and the files are (For example) the /work/LocationID directory.

If that's the case, then the search path is wrong. You're telling FusionPro to look in a directory named "LocationID" next to the "work" directory, not a directory named "LocationID" under the "work" directory. Get rid of one of those dots, so that the search path is "./LocationID". Or just specify "LocationID" without any dots or slashes. Or use a fully-qualified (absolute) path.

I merge and nothing is inserted. Where am I going wrong?

Do a composition (not a Preview) and look at the log (.msg) file.

I have an older version of FusionProImposer apparently.

This has nothing to do with FP Imposer. Your version of FusionPro is fine.

I am still failing at this. I will try to go as step by step as I can so that you may point out my errors. It feels like I am close!

Here is sample of data file, tab-delimited flat file.

http://s7.postimg.org/gc1fys2kr/Data_Sample.png

Original, I had just the LocationID by itself, without the .PDF extension. I added the .PDF extension.

I can remove the extension if need be. I added the extension because I though an exact file name match was needed.

PDF files are located in directory /LocationID

Open file

Insert Graphic Variable Frame

Create Rules

http://s11.postimg.org/l4cmqi2n7/Settings_for_Variable_Graphic_2.png

Check advanced, added directory to path

http://s3.postimg.org/mp9akhr9v/added_Directory_to_path.png

I run composition.

http://s30.postimg.org/mbvav2rht/Error_1_for_Variable_Graphic_5.png

I get "No value associated to graphic copyhole<> in record XX" (I expect the gbd_id not found, text file is not finalized yet.)

No "msg" file is generated, at least not in the documents directory.

Regards,

You might want to take a few minutes to go through the User Guide and the Tutorials to learn the basics of FusionPro before jumping right in.

No "msg" file is generated, at least not in the documents directory.

It will be, once all 11,000+ pages are composed. But you don't need to compose thousands of records just to test this one thing. The Wright Brothers didn't try to fly all the way across the continent on their first flight. Go into the Input tab of the Composition Settings dialog and set the record range to say, From 1 to 1. Then compose, and the composition should finish fairly quickly, and you should see two buttons on the bottom of that Composition Status dialog: one for View Log and one for View Output.

I get "No value associated to graphic copyhole<> in record XX"

In addition to creating a Graphic rule and a Graphic frame, you need to associate the rule with the frame. FusionPro doesn't know which rules to associate to which frames unless you tell it. You need to select the frame, then double-click on it, and in the Graphic Frame palette, in the drop-down combo (second control from the top), select the name of the rule.

I am pleased to report that with your kind assistance this project was successful. RTFM, helps some, but nothing beats asking someone who is experienced at this.

I will make a complete noob guide and post as thanks!

Thank you all!