"Use Local Fonts" in Acrobat - Font Issues

LeberMac

I'd come across this issue a couple of times after installing FusionPro, and it caused me a good bit of trouble until I understood the problem.

Here is my problem: (screengrab)

http://i41.tinypic.com/epp5hw.jpg

Now, inside the text edit dialog box the fonts would look fine. The IM barcode font looked the way it should, and the Helvetica address text looked the way it should. If I composed the file, the fonts would look fine in the print version. ONLY when using FusionPro's preview function did the fonts look wrong. After a quick call to Tech Support, they diagnosed the issue: I was not "Using Local Fonts."

The solution, screengrabs for Mac Acrobat 7 and 8 users:

http://i39.tinypic.com/3509jxv.jpg

That's an easy solution for Acrobat 7 - Just go to the Menu item Advanced --> Use Local Fonts (CMD-Shift-Y), in Acrbat 8, it's in the preferences, under Page Display, there is a checkbox for "Use Local Fonts."

So, it was not some odd issue with FusionPro and Suitcase or FontExplorer, it was just a simple setting within Acrobat.

Posting here just in case someone else was going crazy trying to fix this like I was.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I have the same issue, but, I am running on a Mac.

Inside the text edit dialog box the fonts would look fine. If I composed the file, the fonts would look fine in the print version. ONLY when using FusionPro's preview function did the fonts look wrong.

I have the preference selected in Acrobat, but to no avail, it still does not work. :(

Any suggestions?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the lateness of my reply, hadn't logged in for a while...

Have you tried the FusionPro --> Advanced --> Load Fonts --> Load All ?

I know that FusionPro doesn't play nice with font resource loading/unloading, at least on version 6 & 7. (Have not tried Version 8 of VDP Creator, my fault for not having done so lately.)

I'm typically used to unloading and loading fonts on the fly with FontLibrary or Suitcase, but Fusion Pro only uses the fonts it knows about from when it was launched or from the last time you used the above command.

• 1 month later...

I have a problem with previews in general. I'm not seeing any preview at all. I have loaded the fonts. I click on a text box, all the fonts show in the text editor but when I close the editor, all my boxes are blank! What could cause this?

FusionPro VDP software versionEdit Value

OSEdit Value

Mac OS 10.6.8

Acrobat VersionEdit Value

Acrobat X (10)

I have a problem with previews in general. I'm not seeing any preview at all. I have loaded the fonts. I click on a text box, all the fonts show in the text editor but when I close the editor, all my boxes are blank! What could cause this?

Try doing a regular composition (not a Preview), and look at the composition log (.msg) file.

Dose FusionPro VDP software 8.0.13 work with Acrobat 11?

I'm not sure this is really on-topic for this thread, but No, there is no release of FusionPro VDP which currently supports Acrobat XI. We do have a version with Acrobat XI support in QA testing, and we hope to release it soon. If you have an urgent need, you can contact Sales about Beta testing the new version.

K

I did see lots of lines like this: Font <TimesNewRomanBdItMS> normal style is not loaded, using bold italic style of this font family.

Just: Illegal font lookup (font/pointsize not loaded)

So.. the website may be requesting s point size that's not loaded. Since the number of fonts & sizes are limited, I can make a FontBox that contains all that in white type on a white background.

Still...

The guy sitting next to me can see the preview just fine.

K

I did see lots of lines like this: Font <TimesNewRomanBdItMS> normal style is not loaded, using bold italic style of this font family.

Just: Illegal font lookup (font/pointsize not loaded)

So.. the website may be requesting s point size that's not loaded. Since the number of fonts & sizes are limited, I can make a FontBox that contains all that in white type on a white background.

Still...

The guy sitting next to me can see the preview just fine.

The guy sitting next to you probably has different fonts installed on his machine. If you are sharing jobs between different FusionPro Producer (Desktop) machines for design, then you need to make sure each machine has the fonts for the job installed and loaded. In FusionPro 8.2, we added a Font Usage dialog to review all of the fonts used in the job; a box will pop up when you open the PDF in Acrobat telling you that fonts are missing.

If you are collecting up the job for FusionPro VDP Producer (FP Direct or Server) composition, then the fonts get collected up so that they don't need to be installed on the Producer machine. Instead of putting white text in a white frame, you can include a Formatted Text Resource in the job with any fonts you want to ensure get collected. (You don't need to call out the resource in a text frame, just include it in the job.)

You don't need to collect up any specific point sizes. (Fonts are vector art, and the glyphs can be pretty much infinitely scaled.) The message about "font/pointsize not loaded" is really just about the font, unless you're calling out something crazy like 0.1 point text.

• 11 years later...

Having this issue now – originally, the copy of Acrobat I was running didn't even have "Use local fonts" as an option, but I downgraded to a version that restored the option. Selecting it & loading fonts did not fix the issue. The downgrade to Acrobat was done as a fresh install, and I did a fresh install of FusionPro as well. The version of Acrobat I was downgraded to by Adobe's tech support is 2023.006.20380, but this behavior was occurring on the most recent release as well.

I am wondering if this is potentially an issue that's being caused because of Rosetta emulation – I have an M2 Pro, so I'm running Acrobat through it.

(I've also had some general display issues which I believe are being caused by the Rosetta emulation, but the font issue is more pressing right now – may make a forum post later showing some examples to see if others are having the same issue.)

50 minutes ago, Alex Marshall said:

@mailstarinc  In Acrobat select FusionPro>>Advanced>>Preferences. Check the box for "Embed Fonts For Preview".

Also, Have you tried cleaning your font cache on your Mac device? This will help to isolate corrupt font information from your system, and allow

your working fonts to load correctly.

That option worked – even on a version of Acrobat where "Use Local Fonts" is gone. So – hopefully this will also help others in the future.

Luckily, none of my fonts are corrupted at the moment, but if I encounter issues, I'll be sure to clean out the cache. (I have had fonts break FusionPro before, but luckily the info files from when you load fonts in are always help for identifying that).

Yes, the correct answer now is to check the "Embed Fonts for Preview" box in the FusionPro Preferences.  That supersedes the older advice to "Use Local Fonts."  (As a forum admin, I do encourage looking for older posts before asking a question that's already been answered, but sometimes information gets stale, especially if it's over ten years old.).

Clearing font caches is also old advice for much older versions of FusionPro and macOS.  Since FP 11, with the new way of loading fonts, I don't think that will make any difference. Simply restarting Acrobat (and the FusionPro app on Mac) should pick up any font changes to your system and user profile.

As far as fonts that "break" FusionPro, you may still run into those occasionally.  Usually it's a font that's corrupted or non-compliant with the True Type or Open Type specifications.  It sounds like you're already figured out how to use the fonts.err file to isolate those fonts.  Please send any bad fonts to Support for examination.  We are continuing to work to improve font handling, in an ever-changing landscape of font formats.

I doubt that any font issues are due to Rosetta.  In fact, I've run a very early Silicon native dev version of our Acrobat plug-in and there are no differences in how fonts are handled.  There's really nothing processor-specific about font handling, though there can be changes in different versions of macOS, and Acrobat.

As for "general display issues", if you're referring to problems with preview when the page(s) you're displaying do not fit completely in the Acrobat window, that's a known issue related to an Acrobat update, also not related to Rosetta.  We're working with Adobe for a resolution to that.

20 hours ago, Dan Korn said:

Yes, the correct answer now is to check the "Embed Fonts for Preview" box in the FusionPro Preferences.  That supersedes the older advice to "Use Local Fonts."  (As a forum admin, I do encourage looking for older posts before asking a question that's already been answered, but sometimes information gets stale, especially if it's over ten years old.).

Clearing font caches is also old advice for much older versions of FusionPro and macOS.  Since FP 11, with the new way of loading fonts, I don't think that will make any difference. Simply restarting Acrobat (and the FusionPro app on Mac) should pick up any font changes to your system and user profile.

As far as fonts that "break" FusionPro, you may still run into those occasionally.  Usually it's a font that's corrupted or non-compliant with the True Type or Open Type specifications.  It sounds like you're already figured out how to use the fonts.err file to isolate those fonts.  Please send any bad fonts to Support for examination.  We are continuing to work to improve font handling, in an ever-changing landscape of font formats.

I doubt that any font issues are due to Rosetta.  In fact, I've run a very early Silicon native dev version of our Acrobat plug-in and there are no differences in how fonts are handled.  There's really nothing processor-specific about font handling, though there can be changes in different versions of macOS, and Acrobat.

As for "general display issues", if you're referring to problems with preview when the page(s) you're displaying do not fit completely in the Acrobat window, that's a known issue related to an Acrobat update, also not related to Rosetta.  We're working with Adobe for a resolution to that.

Because this thread was pinned, I figured it'd be a good place to ask the question...even though it is quite old at this point. 

If I encounter any fonts that don't cooperate with FusionPro, I'll send them along to support – but yes, most of the time when they don't cooperate it's usually because the font itself was poorly created.

Will be looking forward to the Silicon plug-in's release...though I know it's likely still a long ways away.

And – good to know that the display issue I've encountered is related to Adobe, rather than Rosetta. Text will often overlap/not fit into the boxes/etc unless I zoom out significantly...but Adobe's been releasing a lot of feature-breaking updates with Acrobat lately, so that doesn't surprise me too much.