Numbering with Carbonless Forms

graphikal

First, I have looked using the 'search' function and have not been able to resolve this question. Sorry if this is basic stuff, but it's been vexing us. It's really a two part question:

1) How do we create a rule for sequential numbering?!?!? We were using a software called Numbering Machine, but know this is something easily handled in FusionPro. We just can't find the solution. We've been making an excel data string with numbers, and then running that data. Can it be done with a simple rule directly in FP? Are we able to designate a start and stop #, the number of characters (00 vs 0000), etc.??

2) Now, when doing carbonless, how do we designate to repeat the number three times for 3 part carbonless, etc.?

We don't want to have to start messing with code, and java script type stuff. Simple visual editor or rule creation if possible. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help on this!

First, I have looked using the 'search' function and have not been able to resolve this question. Sorry if this is basic stuff, but it's been vexing us. It's really a two part question:

1) How do we create a rule for sequential numbering?!?!? We were using a software called Numbering Machine, but know this is something easily handled in FusionPro. We just can't find the solution. We've been making an excel data string with numbers, and then running that data. Can it be done with a simple rule directly in FP? Are we able to designate a start and stop #, the number of characters (00 vs 0000), etc.??

From the menu in Acrobat, click "FusionPro" -> "Edit Rules". Then click "New", and scroll down to select "Sequential Numbering Rule," click "Next," and enter your Start Number and padding options.

2) Now, when doing carbonless, how do we designate to repeat the number three times for 3 part carbonless, etc.?

From the menu in Acrobat, click "FusionPro" -> "Edit Rules". Then click "New", check "Callback", select "OnRecordStart," click "Next," then paste this into the Rule Editor dialog:

FusionPro.Composition.repeatRecordCount = 3;

We don't want to have to start messing with code, and java script type stuff. Simple visual editor or rule creation if possible.

Well, the record repeat does require that single line of JavaScript, but the sequential numbering is a GUI rule.

Thanks Dan! Further on this, we did as you stated. But if we're only applying sequential numbering to a job, so there is no associated database or records, does this still work? Do we just enter a starting and ending record number in Imposer? We tried that based on 20 records, so it would number 1 to 20. It ran three times that number in sequence, but did not repeat the numbers each three times based on the callback rule. We must be missing something, but I'm not sure where. Does the callback rule exist seperately, meaning it's entered as a seperate rule, correct? Not sure if you can decipher what's happening? I greatly appreciate your help on this.

Thanks Dan! Further on this, we did as you stated. But if we're only applying sequential numbering to a job, so there is no associated database or records, does this still work?

Yes, it's a ticketing-type job which requires no data file. Here's an example:

http://forums.printable.com/showthread.php?t=405

Do we just enter a starting and ending record number in Imposer?

You can enter the record range on the Input tab of the Composition Settings dialog in FP Desktop.

We tried that based on 20 records, so it would number 1 to 20. It ran three times that number in sequence, but did not repeat the numbers each three times based on the callback rule. We must be missing something, but I'm not sure where.

Sorry about that. That rule predates the record repeat functionality. To fix it, go back and open up the "Sequential Numbering Rule" rule, click "Convert to JavaScript", and change the last line to this:

return FormatNumber(LeadingZero, new_val + FusionPro.Composition.inputRecordNumber);

Does the callback rule exist seperately, meaning it's entered as a seperate rule, correct?

Yes, the record repeat (FusionPro.Composition.repeatRecordCount) has to be set in the OnRecordStart callback rule, which is separate from the main Sequential Numbering Rule.

• 1 month later...

This post has been helpful for record repeat but I need to know how to only make the sequential number change. I am using a data file that contains image names, the images are in the job folder. This rule not only repeats the number but also the image. How do I seperate this so the number repeast and the image does not?

I am using FP Desktop 7.1P1c; Acrobat 8 Pro.

This post has been helpful for record repeat but I need to know how to only make the sequential number change. I am using a data file that contains image names, the images are in the job folder. This rule not only repeats the number but also the image. How do I seperate this so the number repeast and the image does not?

I don't understand what you mean by "This rule not only repeats the number but also the image." What image? Can you attach a sample job to demonstrate the issue?

I am working on season football parking passes with variable front (games, 7 images) and back (map for parking lots, 27 images) images that are an external graphic resource, this part is working correctly.

I need to also number the parking passes for season ticket holders so they get a set of season passes, 7, with the same number on each pass. I have tried using the sequential numbering rule and on job start repeat record but have failed to generate the correct results because the on job start rule not only repeats the number but also the image. I need to repeat the sequential number 7 times while the image does not repeat. :confused:

I am using FusionPro Desktop 7.1P1c and Acrobat 8 Pro

Thanks for any help in advance.

Diane

164641_Sample.pdf

Archived