Move Image in Graphic Frame

gdellaiera

Does anyone know if it is possible to resize/reposition an image inside of a graphic frame? Formerly we were placing images into frames in InDesign and adjust them in there, then making our print files. Now we have created FusionPro templates to do all of this so that we do not have to create each file individually, with the help of galleries in DSF. The templates have different images (headshot, upper body, shoulders up) & I was wondering if there was a way I could just adjust the image in the template rather than having multiple galleries cropped in different manners. Thanks for any and all advice/help!

This is what the Alignment and Scaling controls on the Graphic Frame Properties palette are for: You set where each variable graphic will be scaled, aligned, and clipped/cropped, relative to the frame.

That said, if you have a high degree of variability in your graphics, that may not be enough. But what specifically you need to do is hard to say in the abstract. A few actual pictures may be worth a thousand words.

Dan, what I am looking to do is 'drag & drop' with the placement of larger images in a small box, instead of the image sizing directly to the box. I don't have images as I haven't done this outside of InDesign bounding boxes. Does that make sense?

Dan, what I am looking to do is 'drag & drop' with the placement of larger images in a small box, instead of the image sizing directly to the box. I don't have images as I haven't done this outside of InDesign bounding boxes. Does that make sense?

Sorry, no, it doesn't. I don't understand what you mean by "drag & drop," or, "a small box, instead of...the box." I would try setting up a job first and see how you can get it to work.

• 2 years later...

Dan,

Is there not a way to have the resource in a graphic frame be a specific size? eg. 77% or 7200px by 14400px. I can see how to do this for a inline graphic, but not in a Graphic frame.

fyi. I'm trying to get the results I want by using the OnRecordStart rule with the following:

"ChartBox".PDFBoundingBox = "ArtBox";

I have my graphic Frame named ChartBox, and verified the ArtBox in the pdf is the size I need....but this is not working either.

Edited by ThePorge

Dan,

Is there not a way to have the resource in a graphic frame be a specific size? eg. 77% or 7200px by 14400px. I can see how to do this for a inline graphic, but not in a Graphic frame.

I can think of a few ways:

• Make the graphic frame the desired size and select Fill for the Scaling type.
  • Make the graphic frame the desired size and turn on Clip (the little scissors icon).
  • Make a text frame and put an inline graphic in it.

fyi. I'm trying to get the results I want by using the OnRecordStart rule with the following:

"ChartBox".PDFBoundingBox = "ArtBox";

I have my graphic Frame named ChartBox, and verified the ArtBox in the pdf is the size I need....but this is not working either.

That's just setting a property on the string "ChartBox", not on a frame object. I think you want to do this in OnRecordStart instead:

var myFrame = FindGraphicFrame("ChartBox");
myFrame.SetGraphic("someFileName.pdf");
myFrame.PDFBoundingBox = "ArtBox";

Or possibly do this in a Graphic rule, then insert the rule into the frame:

var myResource = CreateResource("someFileName.pdf");
myResource.pdfbbox = "ArtBox";
return myResource;

Finally, I'll note that a Google search for "FusionPro pdfbbox" returns these as the top two hits:

http://forums.pti.com/showthread.php?t=2663

http://forums.pti.com/showthread.php?t=5095

That second one has examples almost exactly like what I've posted above. A search for "FusionPro PDFBoundingBox" returns that second one above as the first hit.

Edited by Dan Korn

Dan, Your guidance is always appreciated. I was trying to put the pdf box assignment in the graphic rule. I had mistakenly been trying to accomplish this by assigning the pdf box before the variable was a resource...

This....

var myChart = 11; //Actually this var is also calculated earlier in the rule

myChart = myChart + "Row.pdf";

myChart.pdfbbox = "Artbox";

return Resource(myChart + "Row.pdf");

vs this....

myChart = Resource(myChart + "Row.pdf");

return myChart;

vs this....

myChart = Resource(myChart + "Row.pdf");
return myChart;

Sure, though I think part of the confusion stemmed from the way you're using that same "myChart" variable to represent both a string/number and a resource object. And even though the code works, that potential for confusion is still there. I would do (something more like) this:

var result = Resource(myChart + "Row.pdf");
result.pdfbbox = "Artbox";
return result;

I think that's a bit more maintainable.