Go Back   MarcomCentral (PTI) and FusionPro User Communities > Software-Related Talk > FusionPro® VDP Creator

Notices

Old June 25th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Regular Contributor

Default Letters Position of Body Text & Signature

I am building a FusionPro letter template for use on MarcommCentral.

The body of the letter is variable, so I need to adjust the closing to move to the correct position under the last line of the body copy.

Ex:
Sincerely,

Signature Graphic

Bob Smith
Account Executive

I've done this on XMPie, EFI's DSF and PageDNA but haven't had to do this in FusionPro yet.

Is it possible? If so, can you point me in the right direction?
Old June 25th, 2013, 09:06 AM
FusionPro Senior Engineer / Forum Moderator

Default Re: Letters Position of Body Text & Signature

Take a look at the Cellphone Tutorial. It does exactly this, with an inline graphic. You can also refer to the section "Graphic Tag Inside Story Tag" in the Tags Reference Guide.
LinkedIn

I am a not a Support engineer, and this forum is not a substitute for Support. My participation on this forum is primarily as a fellow user (and a forum moderator). I am happy to provide help and answers to questions when I can; however, there is no guarantee that I, or anyone else on this forum, will be able to answer all questions or fix any problems. If I ask for files to clarify an issue, I might not be able to look at them personally. I am not able to answer private messages, emails, or phone calls unless they go through proper Support channels. Please direct any sales or pricing questions to your salesperson or inquiries@marcom.com.

Complex template-building questions, as well as all installation and font questions or problems, should be directed to FusionProSupport@marcom.com. Paid consulting work may be required to fulfill your template-building needs.

This is a publicly viewable forum. Please DO NOT post fonts, or other proprietary content, to this forum. Also, please DO NOT post any "live" data with real names, addresses, or any other personal, private, or confidential data.

Please include the specific versions of FusionPro, Acrobat, and your operating system in any problem reports or help requests. I recommend putting this information in your forum signature. Please also check your composition log (.msg) file for relevant error or warning messages.

Please post questions specific to the MarcomCentral Enterprise and Web-to-Print applications in the MarcomCentral forum. Click here to request access. Or contact your Business Relationship Manager (BRM/CPM) for assistance.

Please direct any questions specific to EFI's Digital StoreFront (DSF) to EFI support.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

The correct spellings are JavaScript, FusionPro, and MarcomCentral (each with two capital letters and no spaces). Acceptable abbreviations are JS, FP, and MC (or MCC). There is no "S" at the end of "Expression" or "Printable"! The name of the product is FusionPro, not "Fusion". "Java" is not is not the same as JavaScript.

Check out the JavaScript Guide and JavaScript Reference! FusionPro 8.0 and newer use JavaScript 1.7. Older versions use JavaScript 1.5.

return "KbwbTdsjqu!spdlt\"".replace(/./g,function(w){return String.fromCharCode(w.charCodeAt()-1)});
Old June 25th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Regular Contributor

Thanks so much! This is perfect.
Old June 25th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Regular Contributor

I created my rule and added it to my letter, but it isn't inserting the signature.

When I created the rule, it validated successfully in the rule window. I also selected return as tagged text like it was in the cellphone tutorial.

Code:
if (Field("AE Name")=="Andy Shulman")
    return "<graphic file=Andy Sig.pdf>";
else if (Field("AE Name")=="Ashley Smith")
    return "<graphic file="Ashley Sig.pdf>";
else if (Field("AE Name")=="Ben Wynett")
    return "<graphic file=Ben Sig.pdf>";
else if (Field("AE Name")=="Candice Wall")
    return "<graphic file=Candice Sig.pdf>";
else if (Field("AE Name")=="Fred Greer")
    return "<graphic file=Fred Sig.pdf>";
else if (Field("AE Name")=="Keith Tinsley")
    return "<graphic file=Keith Sig.pdf>";
else if (Field("AE Name")=="Laura Donnes")
    return "<graphic file=Laura Sig.pdf>";
else if (Field("AE Name")=="Linda Bishop")
    return "<graphic file=Linda Sig.pdf>";
else if (Field("AE Name")=="Mary Barton")
    return "<graphic file=Mary Sig.pdf>";
else if (Field("AE Name")=="Stan Evans")
    return "<graphic file=Stan Sig.pdf>";
else if (Field("AE Name")=="Steve McCart")
    return "<graphic file=Steve Sig.pdf>";
else if (Field("AE Name")=="Thomas Gable")
    return "<graphic file=Thomas Sig.pdf>";
Any thoughts?
Old June 25th, 2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traba5058 View Post
I created my rule and added it to my letter, but it isn't inserting the signature.

When I created the rule, it validated successfully in the rule window. I also selected return as tagged text like it was in the cellphone tutorial.

Code:
    return "<graphic file=Andy Sig.pdf>";
else if (Field("AE Name")=="Ashley Smith")
    return "<graphic file="Ashley Sig.pdf>";
// snip
else if (Field("AE Name")=="Thomas Gable")
    return "<graphic file=Thomas Sig.pdf>";
Any thoughts?
Sorry, that cell phone job may not be the best example after all.

Anyway, if you do a regular composition (not a Preview) and look at the log file, it probably has a big hint about what's wrong. I'll bet it says something like, "Graphic is not found or is not processed properly: Andy."

Basically, if you're using any kind of tagged markup, and you have a tag (such as the <graphic> tag) with an attribute (such as "file"), and the attribute value has a space in it (such as "Andy Sig.pdf"), then you need to put the entire attribute value in quotes. So you want to do something like this instead:
Code:
    return '<graphic file="Andy Sig.pdf">';
//etc.
But, instead of putting out the tags directly, you can just use the CreateResource function and let that figure out the tagging for you, like so:
Code:
    return CreateResource("Andy Sig.pdf", "graphic");
//etc.
Also, the logic in the rule can be reduced quite a bit, since it seems that all you're doing is mapping the first name from the field to a graphic name. So the entire rule can be just this single line:
Code:
return CreateResource(Field("AE Name").split(' ')[0] + " Sig.pdf", "graphic");
LinkedIn

I am a not a Support engineer, and this forum is not a substitute for Support. My participation on this forum is primarily as a fellow user (and a forum moderator). I am happy to provide help and answers to questions when I can; however, there is no guarantee that I, or anyone else on this forum, will be able to answer all questions or fix any problems. If I ask for files to clarify an issue, I might not be able to look at them personally. I am not able to answer private messages, emails, or phone calls unless they go through proper Support channels. Please direct any sales or pricing questions to your salesperson or inquiries@marcom.com.

Complex template-building questions, as well as all installation and font questions or problems, should be directed to FusionProSupport@marcom.com. Paid consulting work may be required to fulfill your template-building needs.

This is a publicly viewable forum. Please DO NOT post fonts, or other proprietary content, to this forum. Also, please DO NOT post any "live" data with real names, addresses, or any other personal, private, or confidential data.

Please include the specific versions of FusionPro, Acrobat, and your operating system in any problem reports or help requests. I recommend putting this information in your forum signature. Please also check your composition log (.msg) file for relevant error or warning messages.

Please post questions specific to the MarcomCentral Enterprise and Web-to-Print applications in the MarcomCentral forum. Click here to request access. Or contact your Business Relationship Manager (BRM/CPM) for assistance.

Please direct any questions specific to EFI's Digital StoreFront (DSF) to EFI support.

The correct spellings are JavaScript, FusionPro, and MarcomCentral (each with two capital letters and no spaces). Acceptable abbreviations are JS, FP, and MC (or MCC). There is no "S" at the end of "Expression" or "Printable"! The name of the product is FusionPro, not "Fusion". "Java" is not is not the same as JavaScript.

Check out the JavaScript Guide and JavaScript Reference! FusionPro 8.0 and newer use JavaScript 1.7. Older versions use JavaScript 1.5.

return "KbwbTdsjqu!spdlt\"".replace(/./g,function(w){return String.fromCharCode(w.charCodeAt()-1)});
Old June 26th, 2013, 05:04 AM
Regular Contributor

Smile Re: Letters Position of Body Text & Signature

Thanks so much!

I tried all 3 options and it still couldn't find the graphic when composed. So, I deleted all of my graphic resources, renamed them w/o the space, then used the last 1 line rule.

It works! And, is so much simpler.

I noticed when I composed that the signature is pretty big. When I use a graphic box, I obviously set the box dimensions and fit to the area.

Can I do something similar this way? Like tell it to resize when it places it? Or should I just resize all of the resources?

Thanks again for all of your help!
Old June 26th, 2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traba5058 View Post
I noticed when I composed that the signature is pretty big. When I use a graphic box, I obviously set the box dimensions and fit to the area.

Can I do something similar this way? Like tell it to resize when it places it? Or should I just resize all of the resources?
Yes, you can control the size of the inline graphic. Again, I would refer you to the section "Graphic Tag Inside Story Tag" in the Tags Reference Guide. You do have to go back to using tags, something like this:
Code:
return '<graphic file="' + Field("AE Name").split(' ')[0] + ' Sig.pdf" height=3600>';
LinkedIn

Tags
graphic, letter, positioning, text