On several occasions I've had rules disappear. It only happens to rules created with a wizard (switch, drag & drop, etc.), but only if they are not converted to JavaScript, so I routinely convert all rules to JavaScript.

Recently, I had a very complex and time critical job in which I neglected to convert one of my rules to JavaScript, and that rule disappeared between the time I composed my proof file and the time I composed production files. I made no changes in the interim; nor did I close the file or make any other modifications other than settings in the composition dialogs.

Unfortunately, the entire job got printed wrong, and had to be re-printed at substantial cost to my employer.

I'm sorry to hear that. Which version of FusionPro are you using? There were some issues like this in older versions, but as far as I know they have been fixed in the latest release.

And of course, the general advice with all computer programs is to save often.

7.1P1c and composing on FP Server.

Your advice about saving, while good generally, would assure the loss of the rule permanently in this case. In fact, I was able to find (and recover) the rule on the server among the submitted jobs, and track down when it disappeared by looking at the sequence of jobs submitted to the server.

This has been an ongoing problem for more than a year (several years?), and across multiple versions of FP. At what rev. do you believe it was resolved?

So you're saying that the rule disappears from the template PDF when you save it? I haven't heard of that problem before. What OS and Acrobat version?

There was a bug (FP-11181 and related) where rules would be deleted when the Edit Flat File option was invoked or a Data Definition file was imported. This was fixed in version 6.2. I don't know about any other cases of rules disappearing.

If you can post a job and/or a series of steps to reproduce the problem (or at least a general description of your typical workflow), including the exact versions of FusionPro, Acrobat, and your operating system, for all machines on which the template is opened, and either post it here or send it to Support, I will definitely investigate.

I've used FP since its early life as DL100, and gradually increased my sophistication as a user, learning JavaScript, etc.

I'm presently running under Windows XP SP3 (all patches applied), using Acrobat 9. As I mentioned, the problem has persisted across multiple versions of OS, FP and Acrobat.

Though this particular project was never opened anywhere else, we have two other workstations running FP under XP and Win 7(64bit) respectively and Acrobat 8.

I should be able to provide before and after snapshots of the project in question from the server, but they'll be large files. Where and how may I send (FTP?) them to you?

The disappearing rule problem is very unpredictable. Sometimes, as in this case, it happens mid session, with no trigger that I can identify. When I first encountered it, it seemed to happen when opening a template, as if the missing rule were simply skipped during loading. In that case, if I closed the template without saving, the rule would be there when I re-opened the file. If I happened to save before I realized that the rule was missing, it was un-recoverable.

OK, I've identified the before and after composition jobs. They're uploading now. The rule that disappeared is named "Single Type". The only actions I took between the two composition jobs were to pick a different data source and change the name of the output file.

I'm not able to reproduce the problem. I'm running FusionPro 8.0. I tried changing the data source, the output file name, closing and reopening, and lots of other things. The Drag-and-Drop rule is still there, after all of that. I'm not sure what else I can do at this point.

That's the problem with this problem. I can't identify what triggers it either.

Yes, these kinds of bugs are very hard to fix, since they don't reproduce consistently. There's probably an error occurring when parsing the rule from the Data Definition markup, and that's causing it to fail silently and drop the rule. I'll see about adding some better error handling and reporting around this part of the code for the next release. This probably won't fix the problem, but it will hopefully give us more information when it happens again so that (a) you'll have some warning that the rule isn't being saved properly, and (b) we can isolate the problem and fix it.

• 1 year later...
I'm suddenly having this problem too, for the first time. Although I usually don't use the wizard. I make a rule using the wizard and save it, suddenly all rules disappears. I use FP 8.2 (the single-composer version).