Go Back   PTI Marketing Technologies User Community > Software-Related Talk > Getting Started

Notices

Old June 27th, 2017, 12:03 PM
Forum n00b

Default Variable Graphic

I've looked through the forums for a solution to this with no luck.
I am making an online template for Graphic postcards. There are 16 different cards with a different image on the front with corresponding Art credit on the back of every card. I've tried it a couple different ways but cannot seem to get the rules to work.
I have made the back of the postcard with the art credit into an image file thinking it would be easier so in a nutshell, I'd like a dropdown choice of image then the correct back side will follow.
Choose image "A"
Impose a 2 page PDF with Image "A-1" on the back.
Does this make sense?
Thanks in advance.
Old June 27th, 2017, 02:56 PM
FusionPro Senior Engineer / Forum Moderator

Default Re: Variable Graphic

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenharris1971 View Post
I am making an online template for Graphic postcards.
Online where? In what web app? MarcomCentral? Digital StoreFront? Avanti? Some other application?
Quote:
There are 16 different cards with a different image on the front with corresponding Art credit on the back of every card. I've tried it a couple different ways but cannot seem to get the rules to work.
I have made the back of the postcard with the art credit into an image file thinking it would be easier
Okay, that sounds like the right approach. You can just put a variable graphic frame down at the lowest level on the page, and have a Graphic rule to control what image goes in there for each record. (You could also check the "Suppress static PDF background in composition" box on the Graphics tab of the Composition Settings if you really don't want any of the actual static background.)

Although I'm not sure I understand how much overall variability there is. Are all the other variables frames and layout elements on the 16 different cards all the same, other than the variable background image? Or are they really 16 different layouts, where the variable data is positioned differently?

A picture might be worth a thousand words here.
Quote:
so in a nutshell, I'd like a dropdown choice of image then the correct back side will follow.
Again, a drop-down where?
Quote:
Choose image "A"
Impose a 2 page PDF with Image "A-1" on the back.
Does this make sense?
Sure, if you have a rule that controls which image goes into a graphic frame on the front page, by basically mapping a field value to a graphic resource, then you can have another rule that controls which image goes into a graphic frame on the back page, by mapping that same field value to another graphic resource. It's likely that these two rules could be combined, but it's not necessary to do so.
LinkedIn

I am a not a Support engineer, and this forum is not a substitute for Support. My participation on this forum is primarily as a fellow user (and a forum moderator). I am happy to provide help and answers to questions when I can; however, there is no guarantee that I, or anyone else on this forum, will be able to answer all questions or fix any problems. If I ask for files to clarify an issue, I might not be able to look at them personally. I am not able to answer private messages, emails, or phone calls unless they go through proper Support channels. Please direct any sales or pricing questions to your salesperson or inquiries@pti.com.

Complex template-building questions, as well as all installation and font questions or problems, should be directed to FusionProSupport@PTI.com. Paid consulting work may be required to fulfill your template-building needs. Please do not post proprietary font files to this forum.

Please include the specific versions of FusionPro, Acrobat, and your operating system in any problem reports or help requests. I recommend putting this information in your forum signature. Please also check your composition log (.msg) file for relevant error or warning messages.

Please post questions specific to the MarcomCentral Enterprise and Web-to-Print applications in the MarcomCentral forum. Click here to request access. Or contact your Business Relationship Manager (BRM/CPM) for assistance.

Please direct any questions specific to EFI's Digital StoreFront (DSF) to EFI support.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

The correct spellings are JavaScript, FusionPro, and MarcomCentral (each with two capital letters and no spaces). Acceptable abbreviations are JS, FP, and MC (or MCC). There is no "S" at the end of "Expression" or "Printable"! The name of the product is FusionPro, not "Fusion". "Java" is not is not the same as JavaScript.

Check out the JavaScript Guide and JavaScript Reference! FusionPro 8.0 and newer use JavaScript 1.7. Older versions use JavaScript 1.5.

return "KbwbTdsjqu!spdlt\"".replace(/./g,function(w){return String.fromCharCode(w.charCodeAt()-1)});