QR Vcard size

I attached collected files. Three QR codes display on page 2. Text rule: QRcode_Vcard2graphic creates a graphic output for the vcard. It tests good on my android and iphone. Problem is I need to make it smaller. So I created text rule: QRcode_Vcard2. I set the point size to 2pt to get the barcode about the size I need it. Problem is my phones scan it and the content is blank.

I also tried a graphic rule to size the qrcode to best fit the frame, but the output looks choppy and cut off. The phones cannot read it. So I don't think a graphic is usable.

How can I get the barcode to be about 5/8" square in size? I realize the smaller the code, the more difficult it is for readers. However, my customer's sample is this size and it is readable to my phone.

employee bc.zip

I realize the smaller the code, the more difficult it is for readers. However, my customer's sample is this size and it is readable to my phone.

Can you post the customer's sample barcode? I can scan it on my phone, see the raw data encoded, and figure out how to code that in a rule. Otherwise, without seeing this other barcode, I can't do much other than try to guess what's in it, and I'm bad at guessing.

I attached the composed FP barcode that is readable to my phone. It contains the data I need to be in the QR code. It is a text rule with a graphic output. It is too large in size.

I also attached the customers sample. This code does not display the data the way they want it, however it is the size I need to match. Do not use this code for data. It was created through Indesign I believe.

Thank you for looking into this.

QR code from FP template.pdf

customer sample QR.pdf

I attached the composed FP barcode that is readable to my phone. It contains the data I need to be in the QR code. It is a text rule with a graphic output. It is too large in size.

Why are you using a text rule? Just create the graphic in a graphic rule, and put it in a graphic frame with Best Fit scaling.

I also attached the customers sample. This code does not display the data the way they want it, however it is the size I need to match. Do not use this code for data. It was created through Indesign I believe.

Okay, well, the barcode you generated from FusionPro has about 50 percent more data than the customer's sample barcode. More data means a bigger barcode. You can scale down a graphic, or use a smaller point size for a text-based barcode, but as you scale it smaller, fewer devices will be able to scan it.

Also, different scanning devices (phones) and apps have different capabilities, both in terms of scanning itself and in terms of what kinds of fields they support and how they interact with contact libraries on the device.

The bottom line is that you can't just put as much information as you want into a barcode that fits onto a business card and have it be scannable by most phones. There is a limit; it's not an exact limit, but it's limited nevertheless.

These limitations have absolutely nothing to do with limitations in FusionPro. You can encode whatever data you want using FusionPro. These are limitations of the QR technology itself.

One way that I've seen to get around this limitation is to encode a URL to a link to vCard file that contains the data, instead of encoding the vCard data itself. Also, the MECARD format is less verbose, but doesn't support as many fields.

I tried using a graphic frame, scaled to best fit. But the rendering of the code is not legible to my reader. I can see the corner squares cut off. It seems like although a graphic frame can scale a QR code it cuts off the edges. Is there a way to maintain a white margin around it? or inset the graphic frame?

I do see how their sample has less data than mine, and I do understand how I may not be able to ever get the code that small with that much data. But i do need to find out how small I can get it and still be legible. Problem is that even if I make the text output of the code (RULE QRcode_Vcard2) as large as the graphic output (RULE QRcode_Vcard2graphic), the text version comes up blank on my reader (no data). Could we look at the code for the text version and see if there is something that is causing the reader to get no data from the produced qrcode?

So far the only thing that works is QRcode_Vcard2graphic, and I know of no way reduce the size of the code with that rule.

The QR code needs to be dynamically created from the information that is input on the card. How would "encode a URL to a link to vCard file" work if the information does not exist until the card is created?

Thank you again for working through this with me. You are a life-saver today. I truly appreciate it!!

Frustrated. I have simplified the QRcode for the vcard. I need it to be text in order to size it. The reader scans it and no information is brought over. The contact is blank. Why is it blank??? I am out of ideas. please help!

var PointSize = "8";

var info = {

N: Field("FullName"),

ORG: "company name",

TITLE: Field("Title1"),

"TEL;WORK;VOICE": Field("Local office"),

"TEL;WORK;CELL": Field("Cell"),

EMAIL: Field("email"),

URL: "website.com",

}

var result = ["BEGIN:VCARD", "VERSION:2.1"];

for (var label in info)

{

if (info[label])

result.push(label + ":" + info[label]);

}

result.push("END:VCARD");

var QR = new QRBarcode;

QR.pointSize = Int(PointSize) || 10;

return QR.Make(result);

I tried using a graphic frame, scaled to best fit. But the rendering of the code is not legible to my reader. I can see the corner squares cut off. It seems like although a graphic frame can scale a QR code it cuts off the edges. Is there a way to maintain a white margin around it? or inset the graphic frame?

I'm not seeing this. When I create a graphic QR barcode and put it into a graphic frame with Best Fit, the entire barcode is shown, and it scans. Can you attach a screenshot of the barcode that has the corners cut off?

Are you maybe trying to scan the barcode in Preview? That should work, but it's possible that either the downsampling for preview or the frame borders drawn on the screen could interfere with the scanner. Try the composed output.

Or is it not printing correctly? That's a different issue entirely.

I do see how their sample has less data than mine, and I do understand how I may not be able to ever get the code that small with that much data. But i do need to find out how small I can get it and still be legible.

I can't give you an exact answer to that question. Again, it depends on the scanning device. What device are you using? Can you try a different one?

Some devices and apps have a better ability to focus on smaller pixels than others do. I have several different barcode scanning apps on my Android phone, but most of them can scan barcodes that are pretty dense, although sometimes it takes a minute to focus the picture.

Problem is that even if I make the text output of the code (RULE QRcode_Vcard2) as large as the graphic output (RULE QRcode_Vcard2graphic), the text version comes up blank on my reader (no data).

What reader? Again, different devices and apps have different scanning capabilities. Not only that, but different devices and apps also have different ways of interacting with the Contacts app on the device to import contact information.

Could we look at the code for the text version and see if there is something that is causing the reader to get no data from the produced qrcode?

So far the only thing that works is QRcode_Vcard2graphic, and I know of no way reduce the size of the code with that rule.

Every test we have ever run shows the same data being encoded in a barcode whether you call the MakeQRBarcode or MakeQRBarcodeGraphic function at the end, as long as the rest of the rule is the same.

The QR code needs to be dynamically created from the information that is input on the card. How would "encode a URL to a link to vCard file" work if the information does not exist until the card is created?

Huh? The information has to exist in the data file before it can be composed by FusionPro. That workflow of downloading a vCard file requires that the vCard file is already created, presumably from the same data file supplied to FusionPro, and made available at a known link on a server somewhere. It's a more complicated setup, but it's the only way to encode basically unlimited data.

Frustrated. I have simplified the QRcode for the vcard. I need it to be text in order to size it. The reader scans it and no information is brought over. The contact is blank. Why is it blank??? I am out of ideas. please help!

var PointSize = "8";

var info = {

N: Field("FullName"),

ORG: "company name",

TITLE: Field("Title1"),

"TEL;WORK;VOICE": Field("Local office"),

"TEL;WORK;CELL": Field("Cell"),

EMAIL: Field("email"),

URL: "website.com",

}

var result = ["BEGIN:VCARD", "VERSION:2.1"];

for (var label in info)

{

if (info[label])

result.push(label + ":" + info[label]);

}

result.push("END:VCARD");

var QR = new QRBarcode;

QR.pointSize = Int(PointSize) || 10;

return QR.Make(result);

I don't see anything wrong with your rule, but I also can't just try it without your data. Can you collect up the job?

As to why the contact is blank, again, that's probably an issue with your scanning device or app. Which one are you using? Can you try a different one?

It's also possible that, while you app or device may be able to scan barcodes and import contact information from them, there may be limitations where it can only take specific vCard fields, or data in specific formats. If the one sample barcode from the customer works, but not your custom one, then maybe you are giving the device or app something it doesn't like, or just too much data. Again, none of this has anything to do with limitations in FusionPro, it's just that different devices and apps work differently.

I'm sorry, I thought I had sent up the collected files on the first post.

I reuploaded them: employee bc.zip

I have tried scanning the barcode with 3 different apps on my Android GalaxyS6. I have tried on two different iphones each with a different app. So far, the text version of the barcode has been scanned "blank" in all of the apps I have tried and the text rule with the graphic output works. (except the barcode is too large for what I need)

employee bc.zip

Attached the composed output of the graphic frame. THe frame set to "none" scaling scans perfectly. The "best fit" frame looks cut off and will not scan.

Okay, I see. I think it will work if you go into the Graphics tab of the Composition Settings and UNcheck the "Preserve Annotations" box.