Go Back   MarcomCentral (PTI) and FusionPro User Communities > Software-Related Talk > FusionPro® VDP Creator

Notices

Old September 23rd, 2020, 03:21 PM
Junior Community Member

Default Adjusting the size of a Text Frame

I have a client requesting a task I am unsure how to implement.

There is a text frame of variable content. By default I allowed text to shrink to fit a frame, but the client is asking for the text box to shrink to the size of the text... or expand if necessary.

Is that even possible?

Shawn Black
Pioneer Direct Marketing
Louisville, KY

Producer 11.2.0 | Windows10 | Acrobat DC
Old September 24th, 2020, 04:41 PM
FusionPro Senior Engineer / Forum Moderator

Default Re: Adjusting the size of a Text Frame

Yes, it's possible. Though how to accomplish this depends on the parameters.

Is it a single line of text, or multiple lines?

Also, how exactly do you want the frame to be adjusted? Do you want it to get taller but keep a constant width? Or do you want it to expand or shrink proportionally?

And should this affect other content on the page as well?

The simplest thing is to put the text into a table with a single cell. You can set the cell's (or table's) borders and fill color as desired. Then, like with any table, the cell will expand vertically as needed to accommodate its content, though the width will be constant (at whatever width you specify for the single column). In FusionPro 11.1 and later, you can do this with almost no JavaScript!

If it's a single line of text, you can do the same thing, but measure it first to determine the width to set for the cell (column), similar to this post.

Other kinds of resizing may require different strategies. Again, if you can give me some specifics about what results you're trying to achieve, I can offer more specific suggestions.

Note that all of the above can be done with any version of FusionPro, as all you're really doing is setting down a table. If you're composing via FusionPro VDP Producer or Server (or via an application such as MarcomCentral which uses FP Server), then you can actually modify the size and position of any frame, and even create new frames, programmatically, per-record, with JavaScript, which offers more flexibility.
LinkedIn

I am a not a Support engineer, and this forum is not a substitute for Support. My participation on this forum is primarily as a fellow user (and a forum moderator). I am happy to provide help and answers to questions when I can; however, there is no guarantee that I, or anyone else on this forum, will be able to answer all questions or fix any problems. If I ask for files to clarify an issue, I might not be able to look at them personally. I am not able to answer private messages, emails, or phone calls unless they go through proper Support channels. Please direct any sales or pricing questions to your salesperson or inquiries@marcom.com.

Complex template-building questions, as well as all installation and font questions or problems, should be directed to FusionProSupport@marcom.com. Paid consulting work may be required to fulfill your template-building needs.

This is a publicly viewable forum. Please DO NOT post fonts, or other proprietary content, to this forum. Also, please DO NOT post any "live" data with real names, addresses, or any other personal, private, or confidential data.

Please include the specific versions of FusionPro, Acrobat, and your operating system in any problem reports or help requests. I recommend putting this information in your forum signature. Please also check your composition log (.msg) file for relevant error or warning messages.

Please post questions specific to the MarcomCentral Enterprise and Web-to-Print applications in the MarcomCentral forum. Click here to request access. Or contact your Business Relationship Manager (BRM/CPM) for assistance.

Please direct any questions specific to EFI's Digital StoreFront (DSF) to EFI support.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

The correct spellings are JavaScript, FusionPro, and MarcomCentral (each with two capital letters and no spaces). Acceptable abbreviations are JS, FP, and MC (or MCC). There is no "S" at the end of "Expression" or "Printable"! The name of the product is FusionPro, not "Fusion". "Java" is not is not the same as JavaScript.

Check out the JavaScript Guide and JavaScript Reference! FusionPro 8.0 and newer use JavaScript 1.7. Older versions use JavaScript 1.5.

return "KbwbTdsjqu!spdlt\"".replace(/./g,function(w){return String.fromCharCode(w.charCodeAt()-1)});

Last edited by Dan Korn; September 24th, 2020 at 05:21 PM..
Old September 25th, 2020, 07:26 AM
Junior Community Member

Default Re: Adjusting the size of a Text Frame

Thanks Dan,

I have a few screen caps.
Capture1: Text with Variable fields
Capture2: Example of a lot of content
Capture3: Example of a little content.

I've never used the table feature and made an attempt to create one, but I'm stuck. I placed the text in a Formatted Text Resource and create the table from a Rule that returned the resource, but the table data is invalid. I need to read up on the table feature. It looks like a powerful feature, but I haven't had a need to use it thus far.

The width can be fixed, and the text should wrap around the table when necessary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture2.JPG (68.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Capture3.JPG (41.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Capture1.JPG (40.1 KB, 3 views)

Shawn Black
Pioneer Direct Marketing
Louisville, KY

Producer 11.2.0 | Windows10 | Acrobat DC

Last edited by S_Black; September 25th, 2020 at 07:31 AM..

Tags
text frame, variable field