FP Imposer

jurgmay

Can anyone tell me if FP Imposer has been updated with version 7 of FusionPro Desktop?

I'm curious to know if or when it will be possible to make an imposition template that will take a 2 page PDF and, during composition, will lay them side by side so that page 1 is on the right and page 2 is on the left.

I'm certain this can't be done at present having tried myself and read the forum but I'm more than happy to be corrected! :-)

Thanks all,

Juerg

With the current FP Imposer, can't you rotate you stock 180 degrees and then in turn rotate your signature 180 degrees to accomplish this?

I am attaching images of the final output from FP Imposer with the original and new settings invoked. I believe this shows what you want.

FPIoutput.jpg.090a4c099a63ac930987b9f13e849fe5.jpg

Hi Lester,

This doesn't seem to work :(

I've replicated your settings (thanks for the screenshots!) but I get the first page of records 1 and 2 side by side, followed by page 2 of records 1 and 2 side by side. What I need is page 2 of record 1 with page 1 of record 1 to the right of it...

I'll keep tweaking the settings to see if I can getting working!

Regards,

Juerg

I'm curious to know if or when it will be possible to make an imposition template that will take a 2 page PDF and, during composition, will lay them side by side so that page 1 is on the right and page 2 is on the left.

Click on "Layout," then click the "Advanced" button and in the first drop-down list (Ordering, Horizontal), select "Right to Left."

You may also need to right-click on the picture of the two pages and select "Rotate Row 180 Degrees" from the pop-up menu.

I need to get the blue numbers to show 1 and 2 and the black numbers to both show 1...

No, I don't think you want that. They're still two different pages.

Can anyone tell me if FP Imposer has been updated with version 7 of FusionPro Desktop?

No, it hasn't changed for several releases.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I get the same results as described in my previous post.

I'm certain that I need the two black numbers to both be black as these numbers represent the record number; I want page 1 and page 2 of record one on the same sheet.

Should I be using the 'Simplex' layout type and then using the 'Step and Repeat' options?

Thanks,

Juerg

If I'm reading Juerg's posts correctly, he wants to be able to create either a work & turn layout or a run & flip (work & flop). I believe this has been requested in previous threads, but (to my knowledge) has never existed in FPImposer.

Hi Eric,

That sounds right. Essentially what I have is an 8pp saddle stitched booklet, the front and back cover of which requires personalisation.

All sections are pre-printed on a litho press. Section 1 (pp8 and pp1) is then overprinted with the address data, project reference and a barcode. What I'd like to do is just take pages 8 and 1 and impose them in the same way that they will have been imposed when the job was run on press - pp8 on the left pp1 on the right. The two sections are then collated and stitched to give an 8pp booklet with personalisation to the front and back pages.

I'm struggling a little bit to understand how or why this is beyond the scope of FP Imposer. This has to be one of the most basic forms of imposition, no?!

I can do what I want if I insert two blank pages and use on of the built-in templates but I then have to delete every other page in the resulting PDF, or just print the odd pages in that same file. No an elegant solution as it introduces the possibility of human-error which negates the reason for using FusionPro Desktop in the first place - I'd just be shifting the area of the job where the potential problems could arise...

Whoops. That's not what I was envisioning. You want a 2-page document to print side-by-side instead of top-over-bottom. It seems to me like FPImposer CAN do this. I'm uploading a layout I would think would solve your problem. Assuming you have a 2-page template containing pages 1 and 8, this should work. You don't need to print a backside since it contains nothing variable and was already preprinted on the litho press. Or am I still not seeing the whole picture? ;)

spread.fpi.zip

Edited by esmith

Eric,

What you describe sounds exactly right - but the .fpi file doesn't produce the right result! I've attached a screenshot so you can see what I'm getting...

I've tried tweaking it but without success :(

I really appreciate your input and would love to get this problem solved as it's the one thing holding me up. I'm reviewing our systems for a large client and using FusionPro would be a big step towards a much slicker production method for their work. I just have this one thing to fix!

Regards,

Juerg

screen.thumb.JPG.3af7cf9598435fe405a709741d8f9ce3.JPG

I've attached an altered screenshot of what it SHOULD look like in FPImposer. This is what is seemingly impossible!

The Black numbers represent the RECORD number, the Blue numbers represent the PAGE number. So what I need is page 2 on the left (which is in fact page 8 of my booklet) and page 1 on the right, both showing data from record 1.

It looks so simple :)

I admit that I thought you were nuts when you claimed my imposition would not achieve what you wanted until I tried it myself. Now I have to agree that FPImposer is the one who's nuts for not being able to handle something so basic (even though it appears as though it should)!

The only other option I can think of then is to place pages 1 and 8 side-by-side in InDesign/Quark and export a single page, 17x11 spread which can be used as the template in FP. :(

I admit that I thought you were nuts when you claimed my imposition would not achieve what you wanted...

Thanks!

...until I tried it myself. Now I have to agree that FPImposer is the one who's nuts for not being able to handle something so basic (even though it appears as though it should)!

I quite agree.

The only other option I can think of then is to place pages 1 and 8 side-by-side in InDesign/Quark and export a single page, 17x11 spread which can be used as the template in FP. :(

Yes, indeed. Except this is a PDF based workflow and pulling into InDesign just to put two pages side by side seems just plain wrong. These developer guys do an amazing job and I really don't like being negative about their software but to not provide something so basic is soooo frustrating...

• 2 years later...

Is there a way to compose a 2 page pdf for preview, then compose only page one for production?

I've tried a couple things I even tried FPimposer: pages per record - 1: Layout Simplex.

I'm still getting page 2. The job is to imprint an address panel on a.... sell sheet, postcard, back of a 8 page booklet etc.

Thanks for the help!

Is there a way to compose a 2 page pdf for preview, then compose only page one for production?

I've tried a couple things I even tried FPimposer: pages per record - 1: Layout Simplex.

I'm still getting page 2. The job is to imprint an address panel on a.... sell sheet, postcard, back of a 8 page booklet etc.

Do you mean that you want to compose 2-up imposed pages for Preview, but non-imposed single pages for production? That's the opposite of what people usually want to do.

Or do you actually want to suppress a page in production? That's fairly simple to do in OnRecordStart:

FusionPro.Composition.SetBodyPageUsage("YourPageName", !IsPreview());

Or is it an issue of duplexing?

Also, do you mean Preview in Acrobat, or Preview in MarcomCentral, or something else?

Dan,

Sorry I wasn't clear enough earlier. This customer is printing large amounts of stuff. Postcards and/or booklets will be printed in the thousands. They will be imprinted with franchisee store names, return addresses & merged with a mailing list.

So.. the 4/color printing will be done on offset. The printed pieces will be cut and or folded and sent to another printer to be imprinted. So there are 2 things for the template to do.

1) While the client is on line: Show the client the full printed piece together with the mailing data.

2) Send a 1 page pdf to the imprint press that shows only imprint data.

What I'm trying to do is get that 1 page pdf for the imprint press operator. I'm going to try working with your suggestion using the OnRecord Start.

Thanks

I wasn't able to get the code you sent me to work. I was able to use this code in my OnRecordStart:

onlinePreviewVal = FusionPro.Composition.JobOptions.isOnlinePreview;

desktopPreviewVal = FusionPro.Composition.isPreview;

if (onlinePreviewVal != "Yes" && desktopPreviewVal != true)

{

FusionPro.Composition.SetBodyPageUsage("Page2", false);

}