Access data file in ticket (sequential numbering) job

I'm a NOOB!!! I admit it!!! But I am trying to use fusion pro to number dispatch numbers for the automotive industry.

I want to set up 10 templates that I will use over and over again.

I am printing the dispatch numbers 2 up on and would like them to be numbered 000-499 on one side and 500-999 on the other side. Each number appears 4 times on each side and is a different size each time it prints.

I have set up 20 rules for the numbering (I will need to print 000-999, 1000-1999, 2000-2999 .... 9000-9999). I set it up so that each rule will print 500 numbers (000-499 and 500-599 for the first series etc)

Here is my dilema - EVERY time I print these the stadard set up is the same. So every time I print 000-999 series the text frames, font sizes and all other formatting is the same. I will just need to add some customer specific infomation to the tags. It's not variable within the set - but will change from set to set (I will print 000-999 for Smith Toyota on one job and 000-999 for Blue Subarus on another job). I am hoping that I can set up the 10 numbering jobs as templates, pull them into InDesign and add my customer information.

I'm sure I am making something difficult our of something easy - but I can't figure it out yet!

Thanks for any help!

Signed

"A frustrated NOOB!!!!!":confused:

Here is my dilema - EVERY time I print these the stadard set up is the same. So every time I print 000-999 series the text frames, font sizes and all other formatting is the same. I will just need to add some customer specific infomation to the tags. It's not variable within the set - but will change from set to set (I will print 000-999 for Smith Toyota on one job and 000-999 for Blue Subarus on another job). I am hoping that I can set up the 10 numbering jobs as templates, pull them into InDesign and add my customer information.

Okay. I assume that you have a ticketing-type job with the Input Source set to "None", where you're using the CurrentRecordNumber() function to return the dispatch number. So just set the input data source to an actual data file, with a single record of data for the customer-specific information. Then you can use the fields from the data file in the template, and you can set the repeat in OnRecordStart, like so:

FusionPro.Composition.repeatRecordCount = 1000;

Then, instead of CurrentRecordNumber(), you can use the FusionPro.Composition.repeatRecordNumber property in a rule as the dispatch number.

Yes we have the imput set to NONE, but I am currently using the sequential numbering rule. I am not using the current record number because the tags on the right are number 500-999 and the tags on the left are number 000-499.

The tags have each number on them 4 times in different fonts and sizes. I can get the numbers to print on the tags, but it seems like I have to reformat the font, sizes and placement each time. So I want to set up a template (for lack of a better word) that will let me pick which series I want and then add the customer specific information for that job to the template. Allowing me to recall the font, font sizes and position for the numbering without having to format it all again - clear as mud??

I have attached a pdf from my indesign file. This is what I am envisioning the template to look like with the numbers where the light gray boxes are currently positioned. Much of the white space would be filled with static information relevant to the client.

Template - FRONT.pdf

Edited by PMKoenig

Yes we have the imput set to NONE, but I am currently using the sequential numbering rule. I am not using the current record number because the tags on the right are number 500-999 and the tags on the left are number 000-499.

If you're using the XML Template "Sequential Numbering Rule," then you absolutely are using the current record number. Convert the rule to JavaScript and you will see that it's calling the CurrentRecordNumber() function. (How else do you think it would work?)

The tags have each number on them 4 times in different fonts and sizes. I can get the numbers to print on the tags, but it seems like I have to reformat the font, sizes and placement each time. So I want to set up a template (for lack of a better word) that will let me pick which series I want and then add the customer specific information for that job to the template.

What I said in my previous post will work fine. Convert your rule to JavaScript, replace the call to CurrentRecordNumber() with FusionPro.Composition.repeatRecordNumber, set FusionPro.Composition.repeatRecordCount in OnRecordStart, and change your input type from None to use whatever data file you want. Then you can use fields from the data file like in any other job, and you'll still get the sequential numbering. You can even read the repeat count (or the start and end numbers) from the data file.

By the way (putting on my moderator hat), please endeavor to use subject lines which are a bit more descriptive and less general than "Templates." Thanks! I've edited the thread title accordingly.

Edited by Dan Korn
Add note about using less generic thread subject lines

Evidently I am not being very clear. The numbering works just fine. My rules work. I am inserting the rules into my pdf 4 times on each side of my document. Every time that I insert it I have to manually change the size of the text box, the font and font size of the text in the box and the location of the box in the document.

I am hoping that I can set something up that will remember the rule, the text box size, the font and font size for each of the 4 spots where the numbers are located.

Then I can hopefully edit that to add my customer specific data which remains exactly the same for every tag printed in a given job. I have no varialble data or database - the only thing that changes is the numbering.

Can I create the tag in InDesign and import the numbering scheme? Do I export the tag from InDesign and then import some sort of number scheme into the pdf? Do I do something else??

I have attached a pdf with the placement of my rules and an example of some of the client specific information included. Maybe this will help

392879-PRN-Egolf Motors of Brevard.pdf

Edited by PMKoenig

Is there a reason you aren't just creating a 1up template file numbered 1-999 (or whatever) and imposing them 2 up rather than having an abundance of numbering rules that number the pieces in stacks of two?

Aside from that, I would think you'd just make the background (your customer specific art) a graphic frame that pulled in your various art. This solution leaves all of your text frames' positions and formatting in tact and only swaps out the background.

Evidently I am not being very clear. The numbering works just fine. My rules work. I am inserting the rules into my pdf 4 times on each side of my document. Every time that I insert it I have to manually change the size of the text box, the font and font size of the text in the box and the location of the box in the document.

I think this is what confused me, from your initial post:

EVERY time I print these the stadard set up is the same. So every time I print 000-999 series the text frames, font sizes and all other formatting is the same. I will just need to add some customer specific infomation to the tags.

So in you first post, you say you're keeping the text frames, point sizes, and other formatting the same, but now you're saying that every time you need to change those things. Which is it?

I am numbering them 2 up because that is how my hang tag paper is formatted and this way I can cut them in half, strap them and they are in order and out the door.

How do I make graphic frame? and how do I associate my art with a graphic frame? This sounds like somthing that might work for importing my background (customer specific data). Doe this mean that I would set up text frames for the numbers and a graphic frame for the background - save that as a pdf and then associate the background before I run the numbering job??

If that works - it might be my answer! Now how do I do it! Learn me Yoda!

Thanks -I warned you that I was a NOOB!!

First things first: Create a graphic rule.

Go to your rules, select 'new', click the 'graphic' radio button, and select "Empty Rule". Name it something like "Background." Then paste this:

return CreateResource("filename.pdf");

Replace "filename.pdf" with the name of the pdf you wish to pull in.

Next, draw a graphic frame spanning the entire document and click on it's properties and assign the "Background" rule you just created to that text frame.

Finally, move that frame to the back by selecting "FusionPro>Layers>Send Frame to Back".

In order to change the background, you'll need to edit the "Background" rule and change out the file it's pulling in. And if the files aren't in the same directory as your template itself, you'll need to add a path in order for FusionPro to find it. This can be done at the composition stage. (Compose>Advanced -- and edit the "Search Path")

You are a genius!!!!! It is working exactly the way I need it to work! You are me hero!!!

There is just one last tweak that I would like to make. I need to make one set of the numbers taller. The fill the space great left to right, but I would really like to stretch them vertically. Is there a trick in FusionPro for this???

Thank you soooo much for all your help so far - it has been invaluable!