JDF files

DSweet

Hello community...

I would like to be able to use the JDF feature within the newer versions of FusionPro but I do not have any experience with them. I will be creating files for a Nuvera 144 that will accept JDF files.

When I used the previous commands via postscript (setpagedevice) I was able to do the tray pulls that I need. However the files get to be so huge (around 400M for a rather simple set of pages) so I would like to be able to do this via pdf files.

What do I do with the separate "jdf" file that FusionPro creates? I understand the programming part via the edit pages section of FusionPro, but where do I load this file on the printer for the template to use it as a description for the pages? I would have thought that it would have been something incorporated inside the pdf file itself and not a separate file altogether.

What do I do with the separate "jdf" file that FusionPro creates? I understand the programming part via the edit pages section of FusionPro, but where do I load this file on the printer for the template to use it as a description for the pages?

You can check the "Submit to device" box on the JDF tab of the Composition Settings, and then select the RIP and browse to the machine on your network, or enter the RIP's URL for JDF submission, and select the device. Then when you compose, the JDF will be automatically submitted to the RIP.

If you don't want to submit the job as part of the composition this way, then exactly what you "do" with the JDF file depends on the RIP. I would reference the documentation for the RIP, or contact the RIP manufacturer, for help.

I would have thought that it would have been something incorporated inside the pdf file itself and not a separate file altogether.

No, the JDF file references the output file (which can be PDF, but doesn't have to be), not the other way around. JDF isn't part of PDF, it's a completely independent specification, and can reference other file formats besides PDF. (Of course, the RIP has to understand both JDF and PDF, or JDF and whatever output format you're composing to.)

With FusionPro, you can actually select any output format you want along with JDF, not just PDF. For instance, if you have an HP RIP, you will probably want to compose to HP PPML and use that in conjunction with JDF for your RIP.