Overflow Text Options

Hi, I am trying to set up an overflow page, but I need the overflow to carry over the paragraph return. In other words, I want the paragraph to do a clean break. I need to try not to break mid paragraph. The overflow should carry over the return and start a new paragraph on the overflow page.

Is this possible? I would appreciate any help.

Thanks. Amandahttp://forums.printable.com/images/icons/icon5.gif

• 3 years later...

Dan or anyone else that can help...

I am trying to keep paragraphs together between two linked text boxes. I have set the paragraphs with widows set to "99", and I have checked "keep with next paragraph" to activate it. This however does not work. The entire paragraph DOES NOT flow from frame 1 to frame 2. Only the exact amount of lines that are cut off move to the next frame.

To further infuriate me the leading after the paragraph function does not work as well and all paragraphs flow from one to another with no spacing between them. To offset this I have been forced to put a space between each paragraph. Does that somehow negate the "keep with next" function?

Dan or anyone else that can help...

I am trying to keep paragraphs together between two linked text boxes. I have set the paragraphs with widows set to "99", and I have checked "keep with next paragraph" to activate it. This however does not work. The entire paragraph DOES NOT flow from frame 1 to frame 2. Only the exact amount of lines that are cut off move to the next frame.

To further infuriate me the leading after the paragraph function does not work as well and all paragraphs flow from one to another with no spacing between them. To offset this I have been forced to put a space between each paragraph. Does that somehow negate the "keep with next" function?

I looked at the job that you sent to Support. It’s not working the way you expect because the text in the frame is calling out a rule, which is bringing in Formatted Text Resources with the “Override running paragraph’s formatting” box checked and Widows in the paragraph in the resource set to 2. So it’s doing just that; the resource’s Widows setting of 2 and spacing of zero are overriding the settings in the paragraph that’s calling out the rule which is returning the resource. To fix it, you need to either uncheck that box for all of the resources, or set the Widows and spacing settings on all of the resources.

I've made the changes that you suggested (I un-checked the "override box" for all the resources) and I recomposed...the same result.

I even thought FP might be reusing the old .def and the .dif files so I renamed the document with a "_v2" suffix on the end and composed...same result.

The "keep with next paragraph" is not working as expected and it is only moving the bottom most single line of the paragraph to the linked frame.

I've re-emailed the revised template to Alex (the one who responded from support) with the changes.

In addition...would "ANY and ALL" text rules that are part of this text frame cause this to happen, or just those rules that are from the point on that I would like the break to happen?

If say I DO NOT set the paragraph options for the top 2 or 3 paragraphs of the frame to "keep with next paragraph" and not set the widows to 99 but have those settings as default being un-checked and set to 2, but I DO set the bottom sections including (from bottom to top) the disclaimer (a variable rule), the signature section (a static floating signature), and the paragraph that contains a variable but not within a rule; would this cause the error that I'm having? The top section and the bottom section MUST agree even when not necessary?

• 4 months later...

Still no word from PTI support about this but...I've been doing some more checking and testing with this template of mine in regards to the problems I'm having with "keeping with next paragraph" not working when I flow from one page to another. I've sort of narrowed it down to this...

One of the paragraphs that I wanted to flow over to the next page was, thankfully, one that did not contain any variable information in it so the paragraph lines were static in length. Each line always broke at the same spot all the time. I separated those lines into individual lines of text with a hard return at the end instead of keeping them as one continuous flowing paragraph. Then I set each line except the very last line to "keep with next paragraph". Once the last line of the "individualized paragraph" was pushed down far enough that it flowed over to the over-flow page in my template all of the individualized lines in the "paragraph" flowed over with it. This worked as I needed it to.

If any one of the individualized lines wrapped around even by just a few characters into the next line this flow was broken. Single line...worked. Multiple lines...not worked.

When I needed to keep two paragraphs together (in my case a signature block and the paragraph above it) I just set all the line of the "above" paragraph, including the last one, to "keep with next paragraph". As long as they are all individual lines this also worked.

The other paragraph contains variable elements so I can't break the lines up since the flow of the variables will undoubtedly push line lengths and wrap them around on their own.

I hope this "work around" will help others that would like to use this feature of "keeping with next paragraph". I'm using this feature because the template is a series of welcome letters for an insurance company and the body of the letter contains the individual policies and information that the addressee has signed up for. Sometimes those policy information packets and descriptions run on and on and on. This will at times push the signature block at the bottom of the letter to the top of a second page. The client was fine with some pages being two sided and some not, but they didn't want "just the signature block" to run over to the back page. That looked rather silly and unprofessional so they wanted at least the paragraph above the signature block to flow to the next page as well. On some letters this paragraph above the signature was static on others it contains variables. Oh well!

Edited by DSweet

• 1 month later...

I am getting an unusual message I cannot find anywhere. I have setup and overflow page(#4) and referenced it on a text frame on page 3. have a repeatable template that I am filling and if I return it once everything looks good on Page 3 and 4 is unused(No overflow). I then change my rules to return a string that has been loded with 2 pages of Repeateble Template and I get:

Master Page " CheckPageFrontOverflow" used for inserted page should have a master flow/story". What exactly is a Master Flow/Story and how do I create it?

I am getting an unusual message I cannot find anywhere. I have setup and overflow page(#4) and referenced it on a text frame on page 3. have a repeatable template that I am filling and if I return it once everything looks good on Page 3 and 4 is unused(No overflow). I then change my rules to return a string that has been loded with 2 pages of Repeateble Template and I get:

Master Page " CheckPageFrontOverflow" used for inserted page should have a master flow/story". What exactly is a Master Flow/Story and how do I create it?

You need to select one of the text frames on the Overflow Page and check the "Overflow To" box in the Frame Properties palette. In other words, you need to tell FusionPro which text frame on the Overflow page is the destination frame for overflowing text.

Also, you really should start a new thread here on the forum for a new question.