Having 2 pages in a record and using Imposer

crauck

I have 2 pages in 1 record that I am not doing 2 sided. I need it to impose on an 11 x 17 both on 1 side like this:

SHEET 1= record1-page1

record1-page2

SHEET 2= record2-page1

record2-page2

but when I use imposer, no matter how I set it up it keeps wanting to put my page 1 on the same sheet and my page 2 on the same sheet like this

SHEET 1= record1-page1

record2-page1

SHEET 2= record1-page2

record2-page2

I thought I could use the "Pages per Record" equals 2 and it would work but it's not. Actually when you change these parameters it doesn't seem to make a difference at all. Any ideas

Thanks,

Cristy:confused:

FusionPro does not support putting down front/back sides of the same record on a sheet. The only other option you may look into is the saddle stitch but I doubt if that is what you need.

One way to get around this is to name your two body pages, and repeat each record twice, based on the number of repeat (1 or 2) compose either the 1st or the 2nd page. This essentially turns one record into two with one page in each one and then if you use horizontal repeat of 2 in the FPImposer setting, you may get the effect you wanted.

If you have FusionPro 6.0, you can repeat each record easily.

Hope this might help.

Ching Yue

I have a quick question before I can tell if the method I mentioned will work for you or not. In this two-page document, does the 2nd page have variable content? If it does, the method I proposed will not work with the current version anyway. If the 2nd page doesn't have any variable content, this will work.

I actually have 7 pages, 6 that are unused and 1 that used. Depending on the record one of the 6 will be used with the 1 that is always used. The 1 that is always used is my second page and it has two text boxes on it.

Thanks,

Cristy

Another option is to read the input file in, create a different file with each record repeated, this you can call our support to find out how to do it, then in your JSscript OnRecordStart, if the input record number is an odd number, use the logic you have to turn on one of those 6 pages, but turn off the 7th page. When the input record number is an even number, turn off the other 6 pages, turn on the 7th page.

You can find the input record number (output number and a few other record numbering properties) by using JS property

FusionPro.composition.inputRecordNumber

This is new to FP 6.0.

Ching Yue

I actually have 7 pages, 6 that are unused and 1 that used. Depending on the record one of the 6 will be used with the 1 that is always used. The 1 that is always used is my second page and it has two text boxes on it.

Thanks,

Cristy

I may be missing something here, but, this appears to me that:

7 Page PDF that page 7 is always used?

Pages 1 to 6 COULD be used once based on data selection?

With no more information than you have given, it's hard to tell.. However, IF I had to do what it appears you are asking, I would probable have a document that is 11x17 and has two graphics boxes. I would swap out the top one with Pages 1-6 (based on data) and the bottom one always with page 7..

Is that what you are after?

Could you supply a sample if not?

Mark

The 7th page I meant the one you always use. Do you know how to duplicate records? That is what people had been doing before we provided an easier solution to repeat records in FP v6.0. I can direct you to our support team to help you out.

As to putting two graphics on one large sheet instead of trying to impose, it depends on the content. If you have variable content on the 6 pages that don't always get composed, it depends on how these variable frames are set up and their content, if they are pretty much the same across these 6 pages, you can write rules to change their content.

If you still need help, you can send your job to our support team so we can see what can be done based on your particular job.

Yeah, This job is complexed enough. I don't think I want to mess with trying to repeat records. I don't understand why this wouldn't be an option with imposer. What is the point of "Pages Per Record"? I guess I will have to reset up everything within fusionpro.

Thanks anyways,

Cristy

The pages per record is a number that is there to improve composition efficiency. I have opened a case on the use of repeat record count and also the request to be able to set n pages from the same record on a sheet is passed along to the product team.

I've also been trying to do this for the past 3 years and just think that the FP Imposer has too much of a problem with the extra page that is needed to be added for the slip-sheet on only one side of the imposition.

I think it all comes down to how or maybe when the imposition is actually done. Since FP pre-counts the records and then submits the records during the composition phase according to how FP Imposition needs to be layed out on the page then it make sense that you can't add 1 page to impo-side A and 2 pages to impo-side B at the same time. However, if the process could be altered so that the full composition is done of the entire data file in one long string THEN the final output is then counted and imposed according to THAT final count. Everything would work fine no matter how many pages are added at a time.

I just thought of this while writing my answer...has anyone tried breaking this down into two template operations? The first operation would be to create the output in a single pdf file as you want it adding whatever extra-pages or slipsheets as you want, then create a blank imposition only template that just reads in this pdf file as a resource graphic and using the "pagenumber=" to reference each page for output. You would have to do quite a bit of testing and make sure that a new record for a double sided output always starts on an odd page so the side orientation doesn't flip from top to bottom.

It may be wierd, but it just might work for some of the more simpler cases. I should definetly work for a single sided document output. Just a thought.

Archived