Color bar repeating every 20 pages

scottws

Do you mean imposed sheets? Are you doing a multi-up imposition?

If so, you can use some of the new (in FusionPro 8.2) features to customize the imposed sheet. Please see the job in this post as an example:

http://forums.pti.com/showpost.php?p=11530&postcount=3

Specifically, you'll need to output the color bars yourself, such as from a graphic as in this post:

http://forums.pti.com/showthread.php?t=1451

Then you can place a graphic frame on your imposed sheet background, and have that frame call out a graphic rule that does something like this:

if (FusionPro.Composition.impositionsheetnumber % 20 == 0)
       return Resource("ColorBars.pdf");
//else
return NullResource();

If you're not doing imposition, then you can just call out the color bar graphic on the page with logic like this:

if (FusionPro.Composition.processedRecordNumber % 20 == 0)
       return Resource("ColorBars.pdf");
//else
return NullResource();

• 4 weeks later...

At what point do I add a template page for a background?

If I get the rest of the pdf set up with data, and then create it, it seems to break the link to my data file.

If I set it up at the beginning, before importing any data, I have no field to link to the jpeg I want to place on the background page.

At what point do I add a template page for a background?

From the menu in Acrobat, select FusionPro -> Manage Pages -> Insert Page, then in the Insert Page dialog, change the "Type" drop-down to "Template," enter the width and height to match your imposed sheet size, and enter a name for the page, and click OK. Then you can add frames to the Template page, and associate the page with the imposition sheet by setting FusionPro.Composition.impositionSheetBackgroundFrontPage in OnJobStart. Refer to the sample job attached to the other thread, which demonstrates all of this.

Note that you need to specifically go through FusionPro's Insert Page dialog. If you simply add a page to the PDF with Acrobat's Insert Pages command, that won't work (unless you also go into the Edit Pages dialog and set the page to be a Template page instead of a Body page, but I would just use the Insert Page dialog instead of doing that).

Also, all of this requires FusionPro 8.2 or later. You are using 8.2 or later, right?

If I get the rest of the pdf set up with data, and then create it, it seems to break the link to my data file.

I'm not sure what you mean. You should be able to add a page to the job at any time.

If I set it up at the beginning, before importing any data, I have no field to link to the jpeg I want to place on the background page.

Well, yes, you need to specify a data source so that the PDF file is a FusionPro job, before doing anything else with FusionPro. But you wouldn't be able to access the Insert Page dialog without doing that either.

• 1 month later...
Still not getting the yellow bar - could someone take a look at this?

The property you're calling out in the rule has the wrong name, or rather, the wrong capitalization. It should be FusionPro.Composition.impositionSheetNumber, with the S and N capitalized.

I had it wrong in my earlier post; sorry about that. I try to be more careful, but that can happen when I'm trying to answer questions in the abstract, saying "do something like this," without having the job files. If you had closely examined the sample job I linked to in my first post, you might have figured it out.

Anyway, with that change, the yellow bar appears properly on every 10th sheet (although you said every 20th sheet in your original post).

A few other things:

1. You said earlier that you were doing a "20-up imposition." You're actually doing a 4-up imposition, with 4 records on each imposed sheet.
  2. You don't need a data file for a job like this. Just set your input data source to "None" in the Data Source Definition Wizard, and set the record range in the Composition Settings. Then you can get rid of the 1K.csv file.
  3. Instead of having a graphic rule to call out a graphic of solid yellow, you could simply place an empty text frame (which is better here than a graphic frame, since you don't get a warning message if there's no variable assigned to it), name the frame something like "Color Bar", and do this in OnRecordStart:
    if (FusionPro.Composition.impositionSheetNumber % 10 == 0)
       FindTextFrame("Color Bar").fillColorName = "C=0 M=0 Y=100 K=0";

Thanks so much for your help. This is just a test file - I have very complex (to me) situation. I have to apply backgrounds to get bleed on a bust cut, there are multiple configurations for the ticket fronts and backs, there are many different numbering protocols, and of course I need page markers in sequence. I am trying to handle these issues one at a time, so am building simple test files to address these, eventually integrating them together.

OK, here's a file with all the elements. Still no color bar. Does it need to be on a new background page, or can it be called out on the existing background page?

You need to make sure that the dimensions of the Template page you're using for the imposition background exactly match the Sheet Size defined in FP Imposer. You have a Sheet Size of 13 inches wide by 19 inches high (portrait) in FP Imposer, but your Template page is 19 inches wide by 13 inches high (landscape). Delete the Template page, add a new one 13 inches wide by 19 inches high, place the frame there, and it will work.

Also, remember that, when you're duplexing, there are two output pages for each imposed sheet: a front and a back. So when you view the output PDF, you will first see the yellow bar at the bottom of pages 19 and 20, which are the front and back of output sheet 10.