Serial Number as QR-Code

x-media

Hello All!

I have not used FusionPro so far, but I have a quick question if this would be possible:

We need to print thousands of different QR-codes (2D codes). It's an ascending serial number (like "ABC-000 000 000 001" to "ABC-000 000 015 000"). Can this be done entirely with FusionPro, or do I need to generate the QR-codes seperately and link them with FusionPro later?

I am talkink about 15000 different QR-codes here.

thanks in advance!

Martin

Sure, you can do something as simple as this in a Text JavaScript rule:

var serialNumber = "ABC-000 000 " + FormatNumber("000,000", CurrentRecordNumber()).replace(",", " ");
return MakeQRBarcode(serialNumber);

FusionPro will generate the barcodes "on the fly." You just need to set the result of the rule into a text frame.

If you want to have more control over the size and other aspects of the barcode, I recommend changing the rule to return just the serial number, like so:

return "ABC-000 000 " + FormatNumber("000,000", CurrentRecordNumber()).replace(",", " ");

(Name the rule something like "Serial Number.")

Then from the New Rule dialog in FusionPro 7.1, scroll down and select "QR Barcode Rule" and click Next, then select the name of the above rule in the first drop-down list box, and set the other values as you want. Use this rule in your text frame instead.

Other than that, this is a basic ticketing-type job, so you can set your data source to "None" and specify whatever range of records you need on the Input tab of the Composition Settings dialog.

Thanks!

My problem here is that I have no idea of JavaScipt :confused:

If we print jobs with variable data, it is usually pretty simple stuff.

To use FusionPro for a job mentioned in my original post it is essential to know JavaScript, I guess?

Thanks!

My problem here is that I have no idea of JavaScipt :confused:

If we print jobs with variable data, it is usually pretty simple stuff.

To use FusionPro for a job mentioned in my original post it is essential to know JavaScript, I guess?

Well, if you were just doing a "straight" ticket-numbering job, or merging some variable data into a QR barcode, then you could design the job without any scripting at all. But your job is just a bit more complicated than that. You need to format the record number in a very specific way, with specific spacing, so yes, you need just a little bit of JavaScript (a single line) to do that.

Archived