Overprinting Drop Shadows

knaselk

I did see a thread for this, but no replies. I was wondering if any Fusion Pro updates addressed this:

I am currently running Fusion Pro VDP Creator 8.2.7 (Mac)

I have a drop shadow set on black text and the color black set to overprint. It appears correctly on preview, but the drop shadow is still knocking out the background in the output file. In composition I have the drop shadow set to "use soft mask effect".

Anyone have this experience? Any help greatly appreciated!

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...
for some reason I cannot get a drop shadow if I make the type paper white, or my own white.

I'm not sure what you mean by "make the type paper white." Do you mean you're using something like JDF to specify a paper color? Or do you just have a white frame underneath the drop shadow text?

Can you post a minimal sample job which reproduces the problem?

Here is a sample and I also collected the job.

You should notice that paper and white produce no drop shadow

You might find this workaround useful. Use 2 Text Frames in the exact same position. Apply the shadow to the Text Frame in the back and apply some color to the white text. Make sure the text is white in the top Text Frame and no shadow is applied.

Attached is your updated sample.

Thanks David,

I'm already doing that but I was hoping a future update could correct this phenomenon. It makes no sense to me that yellow type cast a black drop shadow but white type cast no shadow. I also made the text 5% black. Still no shadow. I suppose I could test every value of black until it cast a drop shadow but again, I was hoping a future update would correct this.

Thank you,

Ed

As I look at this further, it appears that FusionPro is using the gray value of the color to cast the darkness of the shadow.

In my opinion, this is a wrong way to approach this.

Why would solid cyan type cast a lighter shadow that solid magenta type?

If light where hitting solid cyan and solid magenta type in the same area, wouldn't the letters cast the same value of black in the drop shadow?

Thank you,

Ed