Image not showing in Preview on Mac

Jeff Odom

When working off the server our images aren't showing in preview, they do show when we compose. We created a image resource and have it linked to the image on the server. This is only happening on the Mac's, preview shows correctly on a PC. If you place the image file on the desktop of the Mac and link the resource to it the preview works. We've tried both connecting by SMB and AFP. Has anyone ran across this before?

Seems to work better if you use absolute paths instead of relative ones.

I think it has something to do with FusionPro creating a temporary file when previewing which is in a different folder than the current document. So it can't find the resource based on relative paths.

You can also set the Search Path in the compose window under the advanced tab.

• 8 months later...

This just started to happen to me. When composing the images are there.

I also tried making the image a resource. Created a rule that returned said resource. Applied the rule to the image box and nothing when Previewed.

I have also tried a restart and having no other software running.

Mac 10.13.6

Acrobate Build: 19.8.20080.306727

FusionPro® VDP Creator 10.0.26

Also tried copying the job over local and unmounted the network drive. Relinked the data file, checked that the resource was still "ok" and previewed. Same result, no preview.

Next, I gave it the ol' try without extensions running (shift key down with restart) and nope that didn't do it either....hmmmmm

Edited by ThePorge

When working off the server our images aren't showing in preview, they do show when we compose.

To clarify, when you say, "they do show when we compose," do you mean when you compose on your Mac? Or are you composing via Producer or online or some other remote composition?

Also, the versions of FusionPro, Acrobat, and your OS would be good to know.

Are you sure that you're connected to the remote server?

Also, can you please try referencing one of the graphics with a full path? You can follow these steps:

• Connect to the file share (via SMB or AFP).
  • In the Finder, browse to the folder with one of the images in question.
  • Do a "Get Info" on the file in the Finder.
  • Copy the path from the "Where" entry in the Info window.
  • Paste the path into a Graphic rule like so:
    return CreateResource("PASTE_FULL_PATH_HERE");

• Set that rule into a graphic frame.
  • See whether it shows up when you preview or compose.

• 8 months later...
and this problem come again. Outputs to a pdf just fine, but when previewing the file (a pdf resource) does not show up. There is also a jpg variable image that does show up. I tried using the create resource option and get a "File does not exist" error. See attached screen shot of the error and the info window side by side. Any more ideas?

ScreenShot2019-07-23at11_06_41AM.thumb.jpg.7c6118700833ed92bc516126fe756172.jpg

I suspect there's an intermittent connectivity issue between the Mac and the file server. Also, I'll note that AFP has been deprecated for some time in favor of SMB.

Other than that, I'm not sure what I can do to diagnose the problem from here.

Finally, I continue to be confused by you referring to "Producer." FusionPro VDP Producer is the name of our intermediate level product, where all jobs are sent to a Windows machine for composition, even from Mac clients. It seems that you're not using that, though. I think what you're using is FusionPro VDP Creator. Your "About FusionPro" box will confirm this.

I unmounted the server and connected with smb. Relinked the file and it still didn't work.

Next I moved the file to my desktop and linked to it there and finally it previewed correctly.

***The only reason we still use afp is dealing with Type 1 fonts and a old backlog of T1 fonts. If it was up to me I'd throw them suckers in the trash bin of history, but we still see them come from customers on a regular basis....pity.

I unmounted the server and connected with smb. Relinked the file and it still didn't work.

Next I moved the file to my desktop and linked to it there and finally it previewed correctly.

That's as I would expect. Like I said, it's hard to diagnose what the issue is with your network from here.

***The only reason we still use afp is dealing with Type 1 fonts and a old backlog of T1 fonts. If it was up to me I'd throw them suckers in the trash bin of history, but we still see them come from customers on a regular basis....pity.

An upcoming version of FusionPro VDP will likely remove support for Type 1 fonts, and resource fork fonts in general.