Common Fronts, Different Backs

-Lisa-

Hi all,

Working on a template that has multiple back sides. Each time the job is produced, I need to proof the common front with all four backs.

Ideally I would then like to create an imposition file that gangs all four backs on the same press sheet. The problem is when the PDF is imported into Imposer, it is read as a 5 page template and therefore will not impose the way I need.

Has anyone accomplished this? I thought about using the Imposition Background Sheet but I don't really believe that's really going to work.

I've done similar stuff using data to drive the page number to use by creating a graphic rule

Pic = CreateResource("//yourPath/yourFileName.pdf", "graphic", true);
Pic.pagenumber = Field("yourPageIndicator");
return Pic;

Edited by tou

with my particular example creating a 2 page template.....

the first page would call the common static page rule

the second page would call the variable back page rule

in FPImposer, set document to 2 page per record and your required imposition settings

------------

you would have to have data selection set (proofs) for each back....I'm sure there's a way to script it, but I'm NOT that well verse in that

Edited by tou

Thanks. Unfortunately the back isn't variable so I'm not sure this would work. For every card I need to produce, each one receives, say, 50 of Back A, 50 of Back B, 50 of Back C, and 50 of Back D all with the same front.

I would like a way to impose this so that everything is all on one imposed form (or, if I need 4 different impositions, that's fine too).

It sounds like you just need to repeat each record 4 times – one time for each unique back. Then you'd use FusionPro.Composition.SetBodyPageUsage to toggle the appropriate back for each iteration of the repetition. So, assuming that page one of your template is the front and pages 2, 3, 4, and 5 are your backs:

OnRecordStart

FusionPro.Composition.repeatRecordCount = 4;
for (var i = 2; i <= 5; i++)
 FusionPro.Composition.SetBodyPageUsage(i,
   i == (FusionPro.Composition.repeatRecordNumber + 1));

Amazing, Step! Thank you! Though I shouldn't be surprised. You are always such a help to us all.

Now, here's another question...

Is there a way to "proof" this to the customer with only one front and the four backs? Eventually the intention is to upload this to a MarcomCentral portal. If I need to show the front side four times, I will. But I'd like to try and give them the proof with the front only previewing once if I can.

Is there a way to "proof" this to the customer with only one front and the four backs? Eventually the intention is to upload this to a MarcomCentral portal. If I need to show the front side four times, I will. But I'd like to try and give them the proof with the front only previewing once if I can.

If all five pages in your template are set to be "used," you should be able to wrap the previous logic in an 'if' statement that's only executed when the template isn't being previewed. That way, none of the pages are disabled and all of the pages in the template are returned when a user is previewing/proofing:

[color="Red"]if (!IsPreview()) {[/color]
 FusionPro.Composition.repeatRecordCount = 4;
 for (var i = 2; i <= 5; i++)
   FusionPro.Composition.SetBodyPageUsage(i,
     i == (FusionPro.Composition.repeatRecordNumber + 1));
[color="red"]}[/color]