Calling FPI file with OnNewOutput rule

step

No, there's only one FPI (imposition) template file per composition. The OnNewOutputFile rule can only change the output file name. Imposition is, by definition, applied to all records in your output, since you could be stacking all the records. What is it that you're trying to do?

I understand. I only want to use 1 imposition per composition. But I'd like to make a template that would run through some code and figure out (depending on the quantity) which is the best imposition for it to use.

We get weekly business card orders and the quantities and versions vary. So I'd like to make 3 impositions (21 up, 24 up, and 20 up) and depending on how many there are, the correct FPI file is applied at composition. For example, last week we had 4 versions of the business card and our press operator would like to have 5 up of each on the press sheet so the 20up imposition would be applied. But this week could have 7 versions, so I'd want to apply a 21 up imposition and repeat each version 3 times with "repeatRecordCount".

What you're really talking about here is setting up an automated workflow to handle different kinds of orders. And frankly, FusionPro Desktop is not the appropriate tool for that kind of task. You really should be using FusionPro Server, which allows you much more control over the composition parameters. Specifically, you could have a custom application which would count the number of records, or even run a "dummy" FusionPro composition and read the number of records from our XML log file, then set the appropriate FPI (imposition) file in the CFG (job options) file for the final composition.

That said, we are looking at some imposition enhancements for a future release, but it's likely that the kind of enhancement we're talking about here, to do "on the fly" imposition, would still be for FP Server only.

• 4 years later...

Dan, I found this old thread, asking the same question I have. I understand your response about needing to do this through FP Server. I do have Server, and I'm wondering if you might share some guidance or ideas on how I would do this? I haven't done command line execution in FP Server for a long time, but is there a way to call a specific imposition file or would I need to build multiple FP templates each with the proper imposition file attached? I have 42 different possible templates on this project and trying to figure out how to make the press file generation go smoothly. Files are ordered in Marcom as a Job Direct product, thus no imposition in Marcom is possible. Trying to find a way to do it offline before it goes to press.

Thanks in advance,

Farns

I do have Server, and I'm wondering if you might share some guidance or ideas on how I would do this? I haven't done command line execution in FP Server for a long time,

Well, you clearly have some kind of app or process that's building command lines for FusionPro.exe. Perhaps it's our VDP Producer API Web Service. Or it's some custom code in your own app. In any case, "command line execution" is happening somewhere in your system that's using FP Server, even if you haven't done it manually in some time.

but is there a way to call a specific imposition file or would I need to build multiple FP templates each with the proper imposition file attached?

You don't need multiple templates. You just need to change the "ImpositionDefFileName" entry in the CFG file to point to whatever FPI file you want to use for the composition. You will need to make sure, though, that the number of pages per record and the page sizes in the template match the FPI file.

Dan, I should clarify here. I have FP server, but I use it very very little. It was a bundle with our Marcom purchase and we have used it for specific projects, but I'm not very savvy with it. Anything I have had it do, I'm writing the command manually (or I have built scripted batch files to execute commands). That's kinda what I'm thinking I will be doing in this scenario.

I cannot produce imposed sheets out of Marcom Central on Job Direct products, so I'm needing to handle that another way. Presently I'm downloading all the orders by hand, and then I've got a 5x7 FP template, a 10x7 template, etc... I'm opening each one, running the required records, and the moving on to the next one. I was hoping I could find a rule that says "if Product ID = X, then use FPI file #4" or something like that. I'll have to play around with your suggestion and see what I can figure out. thanks!

Dan, I should clarify here. I have FP server, but I use it very very little. It was a bundle with our Marcom purchase and we have used it for specific projects, but I'm not very savvy with it.

That's an unusual bundle, as far as I know. So you paid for FP Server but aren't using it? Here's your chance, I suppose.

Anything I have had it do, I'm writing the command manually (or I have built scripted batch files to execute commands). That's kinda what I'm thinking I will be doing in this scenario.

Well, yes, you probably want to script something, possibly in a batch file. The whole idea of FP Server is that you can embed it into another application (like MarcomCentral, for instance) to automate compositions. But batch files will work too.

I cannot produce imposed sheets out of Marcom Central on Job Direct products

I don't know if that's exactly true, or if it has to be true going forward. But that's a question for your BRM, or for the MarcomCentral folks. (That is, for the folks who work on the MarcomCentral application, not folks like me who work for a company called MarcomCentral but not on the MarcomCentral app.)

, so I'm needing to handle that another way. Presently I'm downloading all the orders by hand, and then I've got a 5x7 FP template, a 10x7 template, etc... I'm opening each one, running the required records, and the moving on to the next one.

This sounds like exactly the kind of thing that could be automated. After all, that's why you have a computer, to automate repetitive tasks.

I was hoping I could find a rule that says "if Product ID = X, then use FPI file #4" or something like that. I'll have to play around with your suggestion and see what I can figure out. thanks!

There's no way to do that in a JavaScript rule inside of FusionPro. You need to create some kind of program or script or batch file that changes the "ImpositionDefFileName" entry in the CFG file and then runs a composition with it, and then repeats that with a different CFG entry, until all your variously imposed outputs are created.

Unusual bundle? Yeah, we're an unusual shop :-) FusionPro isn't our primary VDP application here. But MarcomCentral is our primary storefront system. We got Server for a very specific project, and that project went belly up 6 months later.

I have been discussing the imposition limitation in JD with my BRM. Perhaps in the future it will work, but right now there are a lot of limitations with that software. We really like it though, hope to see it really improve.

So I think I follow what you're saying about editing that IMpositionDefFileName. Alternatively, could I create several copies of that file, calling one 5x7, another 10x7, etc... so I'd have about 40 different CFG files in the folder, and then just call the one I need through that batch file? Or does the CFG filename have to match the format file name?

My other problem, is I collected the template out of Fusion Pro Desktop, and I'm trying to call it with server. I'm rusty on this, but I think I'm doing it all right. But instead of composing, it's throwing pages and pages of errors.

I don't think this is all of it, it goes way beyond my screen. But does this give you any clues as to what I've got wrong here? Looks like my FusionPro Creator is 9.2.20, and my FusionPro Producer (is that the new name for server, or am I more confused than I originally thought? LOL) is 9.3.9... I also re-collected the job on my server, but that didn't seem to fix it. Any thoughts you have on this would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

**I had to cut a bunch of this out, it was too long to post it all **

Unknown attribute <downsample> of tag <fileioinfo> ignored.

Unknown attribute <dsdpi> of tag <fileioinfo> ignored.

Unknown attribute <uselowres> of tag <fileioinfo> ignored.

Unknown attribute <severity> of tag <fileioinfo> ignored.

Unknown attribute <abortchoice> of tag <fileioinfo> ignored.

Unknown attribute <hyphenruleset> of tag <fileioinfo> ignored.

Unknown attribute <hyphenpath> of tag <fileioinfo> ignored.

Unknown attribute <Files(x86)\PTI\FusionPro\dictor\English.inx"ppmlgraphicsuseor

iginal> of tag <fileioinfo> ignored.

Unknown attribute <afpcolorspace> of tag <fileioinfo> ignored.

Unknown attribute <afpoutputdpi> of tag <fileioinfo> ignored.

Unknown attribute <afpformdefoptions> of tag <fileioinfo> ignored.

Unknown attribute <collectimages> of tag <fileioinfo> ignored.

Unknown attribute <fpxscheduler> of tag <fileioinfo> ignored.

Unknown attribute <fpxqueue> of tag <fileioinfo> ignored.

Unknown attribute <jdf_port> of tag <fileioinfo> ignored.

Unknown attribute <jdf_rip> of tag <fileioinfo> ignored.

Invalid block type <>

Unknown Tag /BBox[0 ignored.

Unknown Tag /BBox[0 ignored.

Invalid block type </BBox[0>

Invalid block type <>

Invalid block type <>

Invalid block type <>

Unknown Tag /ACROFM ignored.

Unknown Tag /ACROFM ignored.

Invalid block type </ACROFM>

Unknown Tag 31 ignored.

Invalid block type <31>

Unknown Tag 467573696F6E50726F2047726170686963 ignored.

Invalid block type <467573696F6E50726F2047726170686963>

Invalid block type <>

Unknown Tag /Ascent ignored.

Unknown Tag /Ascent ignored.

Invalid block type </Ascent>

Invalid block type <>

Unknown Tag /Length ignored.

Unknown Tag /Length ignored.

Invalid block type </Length>

Invalid block type <?xml>

Unknown Tag !--Data ignored.

Unknown Tag !--Data ignored.

Invalid block type <!--Data>

Unknown Tag DataDefDict ignored.

Unknown Tag DataDefDict ignored.

Invalid block type <DataDefDict>

Unknown Tag Assembler ignored.

Invalid block type <Assembler>

Unknown Tag DataSource ignored.

Unknown Tag DataSource ignored.

Unknown attribute <FileName> of tag <DataSource> ignored.

Unknown attribute <Text"Delimiter> of tag <DataSource> ignored.

Unknown attribute <FirstRow> of tag <DataSource> ignored.

Unknown attribute <TaggedStrings> of tag <DataSource> ignored.

Invalid block type <DataSource>

Unknown Tag PersonalizedImages ignored.

Unknown Tag PersonalizedImages ignored.

Unknown attribute <PreviewEnabled> of tag <PersonalizedImages> ignored.

Unknown attribute <PreprocessBatch> of tag <PersonalizedImages> ignored.

Unknown attribute <UseWeb> of tag <PersonalizedImages> ignored.

Unknown attribute <LocalPreviews> of tag <PersonalizedImages> ignored.

Invalid block type <PersonalizedImages>

Unknown Tag DataField ignored.

Invalid block type <DataField>

Unknown attribute <Date"Type> of tag <DataField> ignored.

Unknown attribute <Ordered"Type> of tag <DataField> ignored.

Unknown attribute <UnitCost"Type> of tag <DataField> ignored.

Unknown attribute <Cost"Type> of tag <DataField> ignored.

Unknown attribute <Method"Type> of tag <DataField> ignored.

Unknown attribute <Note"Type> of tag <DataField> ignored.

Unknown attribute <Id"Type> of tag <DataField> ignored.

Unknown Tag Rule ignored.

Unknown attribute <ReturnType> of tag <Rule> ignored.

Invalid block type <Rule>

Unknown Tag Name ignored.

Invalid block type <Name>

Unknown Tag /Name ignored.

Invalid block type </Name>

Unknown Tag Comment ignored.

Invalid block type <Comment>

Unknown Tag /Comment ignored.

Invalid block type </Comment>

Unknown Tag Syntax ignored.

Invalid block type <Syntax>

Invalid block type <>

Unknown Tag /Syntax ignored.

Invalid block type </Syntax>

Unknown Tag /Rule ignored.

Invalid block type </Rule>

Invalid block type <>

Unknown attribute <RunPerFlow> of tag <Rule> ignored.

Invalid block type <>

Unknown Tag /Assembler ignored.

Invalid block type </Assembler>

Unknown Tag /DataDefDict ignored.

Invalid block type </DataDefDict>

Invalid block type <>

Invalid block type <>

Invalid block type <>

Unknown Tag /Columns ignored.

Unknown Tag /Columns ignored.

Invalid block type </Columns>

Unknown Tag 2CD4B9E4AEB660408318E6C77DCFC7CE ignored.

Invalid block type <2CD4B9E4AEB660408318E6C77DCFC7CE>

Unknown Tag 1D092CE3D4B82945AE68B2C172AC9ECF ignored.

Invalid block type <1D092CE3D4B82945AE68B2C172AC9ECF>

Incomplete entity definition ☺rF▬▬-NÆå

Incomplete entity definition ☺rF▬▬-NÆå

Unknown Tag A!UNO3U ignored.

Unknown Tag A!UNO3U ignored.

Unknown attribute <S8°è-▲"_↑%F$,QU¶XJ> of tag <A!UNO3U> ignored.

Incomplete entity definition kÿ☻r↓«AÄ=

Invalid block type <A!UNO3U>

Unknown Tag § ignored.

Unknown Tag § ignored.

Invalid block type <§>

No format tag found. Defaulting to version 1.0a

Missing <pagedict>. Invalid format file.

DIF file does not have font dictionary.

Font assets file is not found. Only system fonts will be used for this job.

OnJobStart, line 1: Error: In Field(), no data source defined or data could not

be loaded

Composing Document...

Output file: [path removed by Farns for this posting]

Font assets file is not found. Only system fonts will be used for this job.

Reading input

dlpdfdocwritepdf, progress "Doc->PageCount is zero", error: Bad parameter.

PDF Library Document Write Error: Bad parameter.

pdf_om_WriteDoc, dtl_pdf_WritePdf returned "-2"

Composition completed with code: 1036

Percent Complete: 100

FusionPro could not find the first

body page for this document.

Composition stopped with errors. Error no 1036.

C:\Program Files (x86)\PTI\FusionPro>

So I think I follow what you're saying about editing that IMpositionDefFileName. Alternatively, could I create several copies of that file, calling one 5x7, another 10x7, etc... so I'd have about 40 different CFG files in the folder, and then just call the one I need through that batch file?

Well, you could do it that way. Or, instead of keeping all those files around, you could have your script or batch file or whatever modify the entry in the CFG file before composing, or copy the "master" CFG to a new temp file for each composition.

Or does the CFG filename have to match the format file name?

No, the names don't have to match. You can give FusionPro whatever four names you want for the input, format, config, and output files.

My other problem, is I collected the template out of Fusion Pro Desktop, and I'm trying to call it with server. I'm rusty on this, but I think I'm doing it all right. But instead of composing, it's throwing pages and pages of errors.

It would help if you would post exactly what command you're issuing rather than just generally describing that you're "trying to call it with server". You probably have the command-line parameters malformed, or in the wrong order. I hate to RTFM you, but this is all documented.

I don't think this is all of it, it goes way beyond my screen. But does this give you any clues as to what I've got wrong here?

It seems like you're specifying the Data Definition (DEF) file for the second parameter instead of the format (DIF) file. But again, I can't figure out why your car is making that noise without at least a better description of exactly what you're doing with it.

Looks like my FusionPro Creator is 9.2.20, and my FusionPro Producer (is that the new name for server, or am I more confused than I originally thought? LOL) is 9.3.9...

The new name for FusionPro Server was FusionPro VDP Producer API, although we're going back to calling it FusionPro VDP Server. FusionPro VDP Producer (without the "API") is the new name for what used to be called FusionPro Direct, but that won't work for what you're trying to do. Also, the new name of the company is now MarcomCentral, even though we have a product named MarcomCentral and other products named FusionPro. You're not the only one confused. :rolleyes:

I also re-collected the job on my server, but that didn't seem to fix it. Any thoughts you have on this would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

I think we're getting there. We just have to get you calling FusionPro.exe with the right parameters.

Well I had to google what "RTFM" meant. I'm sorry I've been such a pain for you today, that you felt the need to use that kind of language. I used to be fairly competent with the basics of fusion pro server, I've used it off and on since it was called DL-1000 v 2.0. I've just not ever been a very advanced user and there's no real training available, that I've ever been able to find. I'll just muddle through this on my own, I apologize for the hassle.

Well I had to google what "RTFM" meant. I'm sorry I've been such a pain for you today, that you felt the need to use that kind of language. I used to be fairly competent with the basics of fusion pro server, I've used it off and on since it was called DL-1000 v 2.0. I've just not ever been a very advanced user and there's no real training available, that I've ever been able to find. I'll just muddle through this on my own, I apologize for the hassle.

Sorry, no offense intended. That's just developer-speak.

There is a note in my signature stating that this forum is not a substitute for Support, and that there is no guarantee that you'll get any answers here.

That said, I am willing and able to help, but it's hard for me (or anyone else) to analyze a problem just by seeing the output, without seeing anything about the input. Again, I think it's just a matter of getting the command-line parameters right, but since you didn't show what command-line parameters you used, I can't figure out what was wrong about them. That's why I used the analogy about trying to diagnose a problem from someone basically just calling up and asking why their car is making a noise. Please remember that I'm human as well, and not a mind-reader. I also said that I didn't want to just tell you RTFM, but you have to try to meet me halfway.

There's also a link in my signature about how to ask questions the smart way.

Edited by Dan Korn