Landscape Imposition

Ricoh WebPrint

I'm having trouble setting up a "Saddle Stitch" imposition for a landscape document.

Our FP document is 11"x8.5" and we'd like to impose onto 11"x17", but I can't figure out the right settings.

I know this works for a 8.5"x11" original but can it also work for 11"x8.5"?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Here's a zip file containing two documents which might make the problem more clear.

The file "8pgPortrait.pdf" contains eight 8.5x11 pages and a basic imposition file "11x17 Saddle Stitching Portrait.fpi" which generates the desired output.

The file "8pgLandscape.pdf" contains the same eight pages rotated to a landscape orientation. I have attempted to alter the matching "11x17 Saddle Stitching Landscape.fpi" imposition file but have not been able to achieve the same result.

Our goal would be to modify the "...Landscape.fpi" file to produce the same results as the "portrait" version.

Imposition Testing.zip

Are you asking how to make an 22" x 8.5" book fit on an 11"x17" sheet? I can pretty confidently say that FusionPro does not have that capability.

If you impose your landscape file on a larger press sheet (a 22" x 17" sheet for example) and rotate it 90 degrees, do you get the layout you're aiming for?

Did I completely misunderstand your question? It might be helpful if you show us what you want it to look like.

There's a zip attached to post #2 that contains my examples.

Basically, I have an existing FP template that is built on 11x8.5 pages, like a calendar. The desired output is 11x17 sheets, saddle stitched, like a calendar would be.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to setup an FP imposition that works with 11x8.5 pages. Setting up a saddle stitch imposition using 8.5x11 pages is trivial, but the converse escapes me.

I see what the problem is. Saddle stitching always wants to stitch along the vertical edges of the pages, to make a booklet that's read left-to-right, where the pages flip from right to left. It sounds like you want to have landscape pages, but you still want to saddle stitch along the long edges of the pages, like a calendar where the pages flip from bottom to top. The problem is that those are the horizontal page edges, and saddle stitching doesn't want to work that way.

So I suppose that what's needed is an enhancement to FusionPro to have a new "Saddle Stitched Horizontal" imposition layout.

In the meantime, you have to use portrait pages in the template PDF.

OK. Thanks for clarifying that I'm not missing a setting somewhere.

Is there some way to rotate an existing FP template? I've tried the Acrobat page rotate which doesn't work, and nothing else I can open the PDF in can see the FP frames.

It feels like I need to rebuild the template by hand :(

• 8 months later...

I gotta say - I feel your pain. Setting up calendars is a royal pain in the ass- I don't think it would be too much to ask to add this imposition option into the program.

Actually, a better option would be if Fusion Pro allowed you to 'set' the rotated pages so that they stay rotated when you go to impose them.

Until then, we're out of luck I guess!

I gotta say - I feel your pain. Setting up calendars is a royal pain in the ass- I don't think it would be too much to ask to add this imposition option into the program.

Actually, a better option would be if Fusion Pro allowed you to 'set' the rotated pages so that they stay rotated when you go to impose them.

Until then, we're out of luck I guess!

There are tools to permanently rotate pages in a PDF file. If Acrobat's Tools > Pages > Rotate isn't working for you, PitStop's > Manual Editing (Enfocus Inspector) > Position > Edit Page Boxes > Actions > Apply Page Rotation Options definitely works. Quite Imposing Page Tools also works.

It would be easier if the original design file were set up properly though. For example, rotate the content 180° on the page in the InDesign file and Rotate the Spread View so you can read it.