First Table Advice

bkurzbuch

Good Morning Forum

I have a FusionPro job that will end up on Marcom and it has a large table on the back page. I have attached a single page pdf of the table I will need to build. This will be my first table and was looking for some advice on the best way to attack this. The only file I have is the Indesign Doc. All the chooses under the green headers will need to be editable in Marcom as far as if it prints or not and if it needs one or two bullets in the last two columns. I have studied the manual and the posts for building a table and i think i can do this. I guess my main question is do i create a XDF for all this data and pull it in that way or just code it all and how do i insure that all the choose are available to Marcom. Thanks for the help and advice. For once i have several weeks on this and it looks like a good opportunity to learn javascript syntax. Which is my main stumbling block. Thanks

Testing.pdf

I guess my main question is do i create a XDF for all this data and pull it in that way or just code it all and how do i insure that all the choose are available to Marcom.

That's not really a table question per se; you could be simply outputting the data as lines of text, without a table, and you would still need to know where the data is coming from.

I would say that if all of these options are really to be made available to the end MarcomCentral user, then they all need to be fields in the main data file. It will be a very large web form, however.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dan

I agree, yes it will. After meeting with the customer. That is what they want. Now most chooses will be pre filled on MCC and never be touched, but they want to ability to edit all chooses. Kind of a one stop place for all there coverage. So before I start down this rabbit hole. Any advice? I awesume i'll have to start with making a data file and go from there. Thanks for taking a look Dan

Hi Dan

I agree, yes it will. After meeting with the customer. That is what they want. Now most chooses will be pre filled on MCC and never be touched, but they want to ability to edit all chooses. Kind of a one stop place for all there coverage. So before I start down this rabbit hole. Any advice? I awesume i'll have to start with making a data file and go from there. Thanks for taking a look Dan

You probably want to ask on the MarcomCentral forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dan

I went to take a look at the Marcom forum and all the categories for it say private. How do I go about getting access to see and post to the Marcom Forum. Sorry, didn't know where else to post this question. Thanks for your time.

I went to take a look at the Marcom forum and all the categories for it say private. How do I go about getting access to see and post to the Marcom Forum. Sorry, didn't know where else to post this question. Thanks for your time.

Instructions for joining the MarcomCentral forum can be found here.

Hi Dan

After my original post, I have more info from the customer and this forum and am ready to start programing these 2 tables, but am bogged down on the programing end. The 2 tables will be independent of each other and there are real only 3 instances I need to account for.

1. Header row - (Will remove if all the sue categories below are set to "remove".

2. Sub categories - (Will have 4 chooses "Advisor, Advisor Plus, Both or remove" Which will determine if there is a bullet point in column 2, 3, both or remove the entery.

3. Sub Categories with extra data - Same as 2 except with the additional text entered next to the sub category in a smaller font size.

I've read over the Table Builder Basics. I can declare the table it self (I assume it will need a different name for each table. I know how to declare the number and size of the columns (3) and number of rows as this is a fixed number for each table.

Where I'm getting bogged down is, Since I know the general formatting is just 3 choose's as outlined above. In stead of programming each row. Is there a way to apply the logic to multiple rows. I see the copy to function in the Table Basics, but with the field changing for each row, I'm unsure how to use it correctly. I understand the logic behind this all but not how to accomplise the syntax it self. This is always my main stumbling block when getting a new project that I can't use the Rule Wizard on. Any assistance or point in the right direction is Greatly appreciated. Thank You

In stead of programming each row. Is there a way to apply the logic to multiple rows.

Sure. The key to generating tables is to remember that your table is basically a two-dimensional array, with one dimension being rows and the other being columns. And the way to deal with arrays is to use loops, such as "for" loops.

You can just loop through all of the rows after creating the table, and apply whatever formatting you want to them, like in the Money Table rule in the Frodo Travel tutorial.

Or, you can deal with each row as you add it, as in many examples here on the forum, such as these:

http://forums.pti.com/showpost.php?p=11856&postcount=4

http://forums.pti.com/showpost.php?p=15435&postcount=4

http://forums.printable.com/showpost.php?p=17845&postcount=2