Acrobat Pro DC

Do not install! One of my operators installed Acrobat DC this morning and lost all of her Plug-ins. Acrobat DC replaces previous versions of Acrobat. She lost Pitstop, FusionPro, etc. At this point, we had to do a system restore to get her back to working condition.

Do not install! One of my operators installed Acrobat DC this morning and lost all of her Plug-ins. Acrobat DC replaces previous versions of Acrobat. She lost Pitstop, FusionPro, etc. At this point, we had to do a system restore to get her back to working condition.

Just found this out the hard way myself. FusionPro is my only plugin, but it's gone. Hopefully I can easily reinstall.

As far as I know, Adobe has not yet released any plug-in SDK for Acrobat Pro DC, and there was no developer preview of it before they announced the public release today. Developers of other Acrobat plug-ins, like Enfocus PitStop, were taken off-guard as well:

http://printplanet.com/forums/enfocus/35253-pitstop-pro-compatibility-acrobat-dc

So Adobe hasn't really given us much to go on here, and I'm not sure what needs to be done for us to be able to support FusionPro in Acrobat Pro DC. We are just starting to investigate that (after dropping the other things we were working on).

Glad (not really) that I'm not the only one with this problem. Unfortunately, Creative Cloud installed the DC upgrade automatically on work computer and now FusionPro is MIA. Terrible move on Adobe's part.

EDIT1: Note that Adobe Acrobat DC is only compatible with Mavericks and Yosemite on the Mac. Apparently I am the only one in my office affected. Hopefully I can reinstall Acrobat XI from here (https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-downloads.html) and then re-install plugins.

EDIT2: Per a post on the Adobe forums by staff member "Irosenth", Adobe suggests installing plugins in an EXTERNAL location so that they are not removed when an upgrade is applied. Never mind that 3rd party installers must not know this as the only option is to install in the Package Contents. If you have plugins in separate location they will remain installed on machine and be accessible to new version. However in this case, the other possible issue is that DC is only 64-bit so any 32-bit plugins will still not be recognized.

EDIT3: Here is a link to a KB article on Adobe's site regarding how to install plugins to an external location. It also has a link at bottom for removing DC and re-installing XI.

Edited by esmith
new information

Did that download from the webpage work to get back to Acrobat XI Pro?

Yes. I chose the option to install with subscription (since we have a CC account) and XI installed in addition to DC. I am now re-installing plugins and moving them to an external plugin location to avoid this snafu in the future.

My understanding is that XI will no longer update through the CC app -- updates will have to be applied manually. But at this point, I think that may be a benefit. ;)

As far as I know, Adobe has not yet released any plug-in SDK for Acrobat Pro DC, and there was no developer preview of it before they announced the public release today. Developers of other Acrobat plug-ins, like Enfocus PitStop, were taken off-guard as well:

Just for the record PitStop 12 update 3 which was released last October is 64-bit and works with Acrobat DC.

regards

abc

Just for the record PitStop 12 update 3 which was released last October is 64-bit and works with Acrobat DC.

Thanks for the clarification, Andrew. I guess it would have been more accurate for me to say that users of other Acrobat plug-ins, like Enfocus PitStop, were taken off-guard as well.

Hopefully Adobe will let us in on the next Acrobat SDK pre-release program, to which apparently you guys were invited, but we weren't, at least for DC.

At any rate, Adobe still has not released a "non-pre-release" version of the Acrobat DC SDK, even though Acrobat DC itself has been released. We're still investigating what it would take to build a FusionPro plug-in that's compatible with the 64-bit Acrobat DC on Mac.

Initial investigation has shown that existing versions of FusionPro generally work with Acrobat DC on Windows, with a couple of minor glitches that we hope to work out in an upcoming release.

• 2 months later...
any updates on this? Any idea when Fusion Pro will work with DC? also with the new Indesign 2015 CC?

I don't have any exact dates to share, but we are working diligently on both. With any luck, we'll have a build to QA soon, perhaps by the end of the month, and possibly a beta release next month. But it's still being worked on, so don't hold me to that.

The challenge with Acrobat is the switch to 64-bit on Mac, which requires some re-architecting of our UI code base, mainly due to Apple's relentless sunsetting of older technologies. Unfortunately, Adobe has not been nearly as helpful to us as they have apparently been to Enfocus for PitStop.

With InDesign, it's the same old story of Adobe requiring completely different development tools to build plug-ins for each new version.

With InDesign, it's the same old story of Adobe requiring completely different development tools to build plug-ins for each new version.

FYI

Man, Adobe is just sick with their practices. I got an email early in the morning from Adobe about the 2015 update and it leaving the 2014 apps in place....so I ran the updater. Well, surprise! The default update method, which wasn't mentioned, doesn't leave the 2014 apps. After poking around I found a blurb about having to change some setting to get the install to leave the 2014 apps. Well, I've lost my ability to run the FP Plugin from InDesign... Hopefully I can just manage without it until Adobe decides to let you guys in on their plans and get an update out.

• 8 months later...

As of version 9.3.21 Acrobat DC is supported in FusionPro. We had an instance where after upgrading to Acrobat DC we could not longer see the plugin for FusionPro. The advice we received from support is as follows:

For Acrobat DC on Microsoft Windows:

Navigate the hard drive to:

C:\ Program Files\ PTI\ Fusionpro \ Plug-ins\design\

Grab the Fusionproacro8acro plugin file

C:\ program files \Adobe \ Acrobat DC \ Acrobat \ Plug_ins

Create a folder and name it “PTI”.

Place the plugin files into this folder.

Reopen Acrobat DC.

Hope this helps someone else too.

Thanks guys!