Go Back   PTI Marketing Technologies User Community > Support > Digital Workflow Documents

Notices

Old March 19th, 2018, 09:26 AM
Forum n00b

Default Empty frame and page usage

The project is a 2-sided letter sent to families of students in a school district. Letter is in English on the front, and one of 5 language translations on back, or no translation (blank back) if English is spoken at home. The pdf I create has many blank pages, and I'd like to save on click counts on the machine.

I can't universally "delete blank pages" because they aren't blank, they each contain an empty graphic frame.

I'm wondering if there is a way to suppress the page if the graphic frame, which is the only thing on the page, is empty?
Old March 19th, 2018, 02:27 PM
FusionPro Senior Engineer / Forum Moderator

Default Re: Empty frame and page usage

Well, a graphic frame is never really "empty." Though you can have a rule assign a NullResource to it. So what is it in your job that determines whether the frame is "empty"? Whatever that condition is can be used in a call to FusionPro.Composition.SetBodyPageUsage.
LinkedIn

I am a not a Support engineer, and this forum is not a substitute for Support. My participation on this forum is primarily as a fellow user (and a forum moderator). I am happy to provide help and answers to questions when I can; however, there is no guarantee that I, or anyone else on this forum, will be able to answer all questions or fix any problems. If I ask for files to clarify an issue, I might not be able to look at them personally. I am not able to answer private messages, emails, or phone calls unless they go through proper Support channels. Please direct any sales or pricing questions to your salesperson or inquiries@pti.com.

Complex template-building questions, as well as all installation and font questions or problems, should be directed to FusionProSupport@PTI.com. Paid consulting work may be required to fulfill your template-building needs. Please do not post proprietary font files to this forum.

Please include the specific versions of FusionPro, Acrobat, and your operating system in any problem reports or help requests. I recommend putting this information in your forum signature. Please also check your composition log (.msg) file for relevant error or warning messages.

Please post questions specific to the MarcomCentral Enterprise and Web-to-Print applications in the MarcomCentral forum. Click here to request access. Or contact your Business Relationship Manager (BRM/CPM) for assistance.

Please direct any questions specific to EFI's Digital StoreFront (DSF) to EFI support.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

The correct spellings are JavaScript, FusionPro, and MarcomCentral (each with two capital letters and no spaces). Acceptable abbreviations are JS, FP, and MC (or MCC). There is no "S" at the end of "Expression" or "Printable"! The name of the product is FusionPro, not "Fusion". "Java" is not is not the same as JavaScript.

Check out the JavaScript Guide and JavaScript Reference! FusionPro 8.0 and newer use JavaScript 1.7. Older versions use JavaScript 1.5.

return "KbwbTdsjqu!spdlt\"".replace(/./g,function(w){return String.fromCharCode(w.charCodeAt()-1)});
Old March 19th, 2018, 05:35 PM
Forum n00b

I have each other language fill the frame with a graphic, so if the data is English the frame isn't filled with anything. Does that help?
Old March 20th, 2018, 04:31 AM
Junior Community Member

Why don't you use "unused" pages, and have them be turned on via an "OnRecoredStart" rule based on the language translation (assuming that is a field in your data).

I use this sort of thing all the time. Works great.
Old March 20th, 2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts View Post
Why don't you use "unused" pages, and have them be turned on via an "OnRecoredStart" rule based on the language translation (assuming that is a field in your data).

I use this sort of thing all the time. Works great.
I don't know if you need to have a page for each language. That seems like a lot of repetitive work to me. I think you can just deactivate the one page if there's no need for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLobo View Post
I have each other language fill the frame with a graphic, so if the data is English the frame isn't filled with anything. Does that help?
Well, I was hoping you would post the JavaScript that accomplishes that, then I could show you how to use the same logic in a call to FusionPro.Composition.SetBodyPageUsage. I can give more specific help if you ask more specific questions. Posting the template and the data would be the best way to help me help you. But I think you want to do something like this in OnRecordStart:
Code:
FusionPro.Composition.SetBodyPageUsage("YourPageName", Field("SecondLanguage") != "English");
LinkedIn

I am a not a Support engineer, and this forum is not a substitute for Support. My participation on this forum is primarily as a fellow user (and a forum moderator). I am happy to provide help and answers to questions when I can; however, there is no guarantee that I, or anyone else on this forum, will be able to answer all questions or fix any problems. If I ask for files to clarify an issue, I might not be able to look at them personally. I am not able to answer private messages, emails, or phone calls unless they go through proper Support channels. Please direct any sales or pricing questions to your salesperson or inquiries@pti.com.

Complex template-building questions, as well as all installation and font questions or problems, should be directed to FusionProSupport@PTI.com. Paid consulting work may be required to fulfill your template-building needs. Please do not post proprietary font files to this forum.

Please include the specific versions of FusionPro, Acrobat, and your operating system in any problem reports or help requests. I recommend putting this information in your forum signature. Please also check your composition log (.msg) file for relevant error or warning messages.

Please post questions specific to the MarcomCentral Enterprise and Web-to-Print applications in the MarcomCentral forum. Click here to request access. Or contact your Business Relationship Manager (BRM/CPM) for assistance.

Please direct any questions specific to EFI's Digital StoreFront (DSF) to EFI support.

The correct spellings are JavaScript, FusionPro, and MarcomCentral (each with two capital letters and no spaces). Acceptable abbreviations are JS, FP, and MC (or MCC). There is no "S" at the end of "Expression" or "Printable"! The name of the product is FusionPro, not "Fusion". "Java" is not is not the same as JavaScript.

Check out the JavaScript Guide and JavaScript Reference! FusionPro 8.0 and newer use JavaScript 1.7. Older versions use JavaScript 1.5.

return "KbwbTdsjqu!spdlt\"".replace(/./g,function(w){return String.fromCharCode(w.charCodeAt()-1)});
Old March 20th, 2018, 03:54 PM
Forum n00b

Dan Korn, don't help me if you don't want to, but no need to be snarky. "I was hoping you'd post the JavaScript" like I'm a mindreader. Ask for what you need please, because I don't know. This would "help me help you." Remember, "I can give more specific help if you ask more specific questions."

Thank you, scotts, for your suggestion. I'll figure it out. We were all newbies once, right?
Old March 20th, 2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLobo View Post
Dan Korn, don't help me if you don't want to, but no need to be snarky. "I was hoping you'd post the JavaScript" like I'm a mindreader. Ask for what you need please, because I don't know. This would "help me help you." Remember, "I can give more specific help if you ask more specific questions."
Sorry, I'm not trying to be snarky, and I apologize for any offense. But I'm not a mind reader either. How can I tell you what code I need to write to accomplish what you're trying to do without knowing, at the very least, what data field names I need to put into the code so that it can do something conditional based on those data field values?

To recap my specific questions and suggestions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Korn View Post
So what is it in your job that determines whether the frame is "empty"? Whatever that condition is can be used in a call to FusionPro.Composition.SetBodyPageUsage.
I think I implied pretty strongly here that the JavaScript code you need to write is similar to the rule you must already have to determine what to fill the frame with (and whether to fill it at all), based on a particular condition. Your answer "if the data is English the frame isn't filled with anything" is fine conceptual description of what that condition is, but (a) I already knew that from your original post, and (b) I was asking for something more specific than that, i.e. the code that accomplishes that conceptual description in a rule. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Quote:
I was hoping you would post the JavaScript that accomplishes that, then I could show you how to use the same logic in a call to FusionPro.Composition.SetBodyPageUsage.
Here I am asking specifically for the JavaScript code. Can you post that?
Quote:
Posting the template and the data would be the best way to help me help you.
Here I am asking for something specific again. Can you provide it?
Quote:
But I think you want to do something like this in OnRecordStart:
Code:
FusionPro.Composition.SetBodyPageUsage("YourPageName", Field("SecondLanguage") != "English");
Does that make sense? Did you try doing something like this? It's basically the same as Scott's suggestion, although it doesn't require making multiple "unused" pages; it just turns off the one page off as needed, which I think is closer to what you're looking for (and is less work). Note that I'm trying to make as close to a specific suggestion as I can without knowing any details about your job, including the data field name (or your page name, but you can name it anything you want and use that name in place of "YourPageName" in my example).

Again, I'm not trying to be snarky, but I'm not sure how asking for your job files, or at least the code, or really anything beyond just a high-level description of the problem, is any different than your mechanic asking to look at your car when you call him up and ask him why it's making that funny noise. I really am trying to help, but in order to give you the specific suggestions you seem to be asking for, I need something more than just the concept of what you're trying to do.

So I've reiterated several specific questions, which, if you choose to answer them, will allow me to help you further.
LinkedIn

Tags
blank, empty, frame, suppress