Trouble with 'Vertical Align Bottom' Text Boxes

EricC

I have a FusionPro text box on the left, and a (static) logo on the right.

The bottom of the text box is at 1.5 inches (y coordinate).

The bottom of the logo is also precisely at 1.5 inches.

For the FusionPro text box, I select 'Vertical Align Bottom'.

When I compose records and view the output PDF, the text is positioned slightly higher than it should be.

It appears that the 'Vertical Align Bottom' function will align the DESCENDER of the font to the bottom of the text box, rather than the BASELINE of the font.

Is there a global option somewhere that will tell FusionPro to Bottom Align text boxes using the Baseline of the font?

Is there a global option somewhere that will tell FusionPro to Bottom Align text boxes using the Baseline of the font?

No. If you did that, and you had descenders, they would be outside the frame, or overlap the border. And there's no way to define a baseline directly in FusionPro (at least not in FP Desktop, although there is a "text line" frame you can define with the DIF API in FP Server, which is a holdover from the old DL Formatter/FrameMaker days). The closest thing I can think of in FP Desktop is to create a Text on a Curve frame, and define the "curve" as a straight line, which becomes the baseline. Or you could use an inline graphic, which will align to the text baseline.

Hi Dan,

I guess I am just used to the way InDesign's text boxes work.

Here's my workaround ... I just purposely offset the text box with whatever I am trying to line it up with. Even though it looks wrong on the screen (i.e. the text box looks too low), the composed PDF file renders correctly. (And by 'correctly' I mean: The baseline of the text lines up with the graphic next to it)

Next time I have to bottom-align a text box I will try your in-line graphic method and see if that works for my application.

As always, thanks for your prompt response!

Archived