Apply rule to variable text box

Yes, there are several ways you can do this, depending on exactly what you're trying to accomplish.

The simplest way is to simply set a single variable in the text frame, then create a rule with that same name to populate all the text.

You can also use the frame properties API in OnRecordStart to set all the text in any named frame; something like this:

FindTextFrame("YourFrameName").content = "here's some text";

If you're simply trying to modify the style of all the text in the frame, you can use a <span> tag, either in a regular rule inserted before all the other text, like so:

return '<span color="Green">';

Or you can "inject" the formatting with the frame properties API in OnRecordStart, like so:

FindTextFrame("YourFrameName").content = '<span color="Green">' + FindTextFrame("YourFrameName").content

If you could be more specific as to exactly what you're trying to apply to the text in the frame, I could offer more specific suggestions.

Since FusionPro doesn't handle the Proportional Lining OpenType feature, I have to change the font of just the numbers. Currently I have the following rule applied to each and every field that might have numbers in it:

var numberFont = "Folio Light";
var numberWidth = "9";
var numberHeight = "8.5";
var text = Field("ADDRESS1");
return text.replace(/(\d+\s*)/g, function(d){return '<span font="' + numberFont + '"><z newsize="' + numberHeight + '"><setwidth newsize="' + numberWidth + '">' + d + '</span>';});

It would be really nice if I could just have one or a couple of these rules rather than for every field.

Thanks!

Since FusionPro doesn't handle the Proportional Lining OpenType feature, I have to change the font of just the numbers. Currently I have the following rule applied to each and every field that might have numbers in it:

var numberWidth = "9";
var text = Field("ADDRESS1");
return text.replace(/(\d+\s*)/g, function(d){return '<span font="' + numberFont + '"><z newsize="' + numberHeight + '"><setwidth newsize="' + numberWidth + '">' + d + '</span>';});

It would be really nice if I could just have one or a couple of these rules rather than for every field.

Thanks!

You can use "variable injection" to accomplish this, with the FusionPro.Composition.AddVariable function. Add this logic to OnRecordStart:

var numberWidth = "9";

for (var f in FusionPro.Fields)
{
   var text = FusionPro.Fields[f].replace(/(\d+\s*)/g, function(d){return '<span font="' + numberFont + '"><z newsize="' + numberHeight + '"><setwidth newsize="' + numberWidth + '">' + d + '</span>';});
   FusionPro.Composition.AddVariable(f, text, true)
}

Note that this will affect only fields called out directly in text frames or resources, not field values accessed in other rules with the Field function.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...