Suppression Containing Empty Variables

nickbeh

Hi Dan,

Sorry, this is my first time using the forum and I'm not familiar with the process.

I have suppression issue when I enabled "Containing Empty Variables" from Paragraph Formatting->Suppress if: Containing Empty Variables.

Refer to my screenshot with comment and sample, The Record 1 & 2 are correct, but Records 3 & 4 are wrong.

Download Link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gpjVmVvAtNhh1HhIzyWrGj-7QEDaA1_C/view?usp=sharing

Screenshot-01_Enabled-Suppress-if_Containing-Empty-Variables.thumb.jpg.4a1ea05608e9235c48f969d1d5df5c06.jpg

Screenshot02_CommentandResults.thumb.jpg.a4519e353c9b0d596f68c168b6da76db.jpg

Again, when I click that link, I get a message saying, "You need access." Your Google Drive share is private. You need to change the settings on that Google Drive folder to let anyone else download them. But it's better to attach files here directly...

Sorry, this is my first time using the forum and I'm not familiar with the process.

You can attach files here. Click the "Go Advanced" button, then click "Manage Attachments."

I have suppression issue when I enabled "Containing Empty Variables" from Paragraph Formatting->Suppress if: Containing Empty Variables.

Refer to my screenshot with comment and sample, The Record 1 & 2 are correct, but Records 3 & 4 are wrong.

Thanks, the screenshots help.

You have Mobile and DID on the same line, i.e. in the same paragraph. The same is true of the line with both Fax and Email.

The problem is that the ENTIRE paragraph gets suppressed if ANY empty variable is present. This is by design. The purpose of that "Suppress if containing empty variables" feature is for a paragraph with a single variable and label, not for a paragraph with multiple variables.

There are a few ways you could solve this. The simplest would be to put each variable onto its own line (paragraph). You can change the number of columns to 2 on the Frame Properties dialog to get the "two per line" effect. Or, just use two separate frames connected together.

The other way is to set the frame's contents in a rule instead. This is a little tricky because of the different formatting (color) of the labels and the variables, but I think this will work:

var items = 
{
   "M + 65": "Mobile",
   "D + 65": "DID",
   "F + 65": "Fax",
   E: "Email",
};

var result = [];
for (var i in items)
{
   var item = TaggedDataField(items[i]);
   if (!item)
       continue;

var label = '<color name="PANTONE 293 U">' + i[0] + '</color>' + i.substr(1);
   result.push(label + " " + item);
}

result = result.concat(['', '', '', '']); // pad to four entries

return result[0] + '<t>' + result[1] + '<p>\n' + result[2] + '<t>' + result[3];

Though I can't test this since I can't get to your job files.