Variable Graphic

glenharris1971

I've looked through the forums for a solution to this with no luck.

I am making an online template for Graphic postcards. There are 16 different cards with a different image on the front with corresponding Art credit on the back of every card. I've tried it a couple different ways but cannot seem to get the rules to work.

I have made the back of the postcard with the art credit into an image file thinking it would be easier so in a nutshell, I'd like a dropdown choice of image then the correct back side will follow.

Choose image "A"

Impose a 2 page PDF with Image "A-1" on the back.

Does this make sense?

Thanks in advance.

I am making an online template for Graphic postcards.

Online where? In what web app? MarcomCentral? Digital StoreFront? Avanti? Some other application?

There are 16 different cards with a different image on the front with corresponding Art credit on the back of every card. I've tried it a couple different ways but cannot seem to get the rules to work.

I have made the back of the postcard with the art credit into an image file thinking it would be easier

Okay, that sounds like the right approach. You can just put a variable graphic frame down at the lowest level on the page, and have a Graphic rule to control what image goes in there for each record. (You could also check the "Suppress static PDF background in composition" box on the Graphics tab of the Composition Settings if you really don't want any of the actual static background.)

Although I'm not sure I understand how much overall variability there is. Are all the other variables frames and layout elements on the 16 different cards all the same, other than the variable background image? Or are they really 16 different layouts, where the variable data is positioned differently?

A picture might be worth a thousand words here.

so in a nutshell, I'd like a dropdown choice of image then the correct back side will follow.

Again, a drop-down where?

Choose image "A"

Impose a 2 page PDF with Image "A-1" on the back.

Does this make sense?

Sure, if you have a rule that controls which image goes into a graphic frame on the front page, by basically mapping a field value to a graphic resource, then you can have another rule that controls which image goes into a graphic frame on the back page, by mapping that same field value to another graphic resource. It's likely that these two rules could be combined, but it's not necessary to do so.